Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this in another section, but thought I would post the build here.

I bought a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited that was in a wreck. I also purchased a clean frame as the wrecked one was tweaked beyond repair. The goal was to build a unique off-road rig, and make it look classy at the same time.

I had Dana 60 axles from my 2002 TJ, along with the Atlas II transfer case.
Wish list:
Coyote 5.0 engine
F150 6 speed truck transmission & shifter
14" Fox coil-over shocks
Hydro Assist steering
40" tires with beadlock rims
Poison Spyder highline fenders, rear armor and rock sliders.

I hired Rich at 4ByFours in Fruitport Michigan to build this to my specifications. It took about a year to complete, but it is turning out exactly what I envisioned. We stretched the wheel base to 109", which seems to be that magic rock crawling number. Found the 2014 Mustang GT Coyote 5.0 with less than 17,000 miles on it and a truck transmission with less than 25,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The engine came with the PCM, and engine wire harness. Unfortunately, after several trips back and fourth to Power by the Hour in Florida, we had to order a brand new PCM as that was damaged and would hold the changes (PATS upgrade, and several items deleted or modified). A customer wire harness was made and to make a long story short, more changes needed to be made due to electronics not talking to each other. I got the running/driving LJ back after the first of the year, and started to tear it down and paint. Originally I was going to do a complete strip and color change (from Black to Blue), but be a realist, knew I'd be mid summer before I could get everything done. So I kept it black.

As a side note, I grew up in my father's body shop, so I was accustomed to tearing down, sanding, priming, sanding, sealing, painting, clear coating and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before the tear-down, I wanted to see the flex it will have. So while I still had the old 39" tires, I grabbed my forklift and gave it a "lift". 37" at the bottom of the tire, front & rear with no visible interference.

So now it's 90% painted and re-assembly has started. I bought an aftermarket highline hood, which needs some clean-up and then paint. I also need to paint the windshield (from my 2002 TJ). I added accents of the blue I wanted, and it looks like it's coming together nicely. My goal is to have it all back together this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a little more on the LJ this weekend. Pulled the front seats and tore apart the center console to paint it. Put it all back together yesterday. Pulled the engine Plenum cover and painted it blue, for a little accent color. Put the spare tire on and the rest of the top.
All that is left is the hood. I'm hoping to have that painted by Tuesday night.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
That is sweet ride!
I am curious about the front shock hoops. Do you know how the geometry was determined and how tall they needed to be? I would like to do that to my rig sometime in the future.
Also, cool center console. Was it fabricated by the build company or was it purchased. It looks aluminum. Where's the E-brake?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The front hoops were based on the 14" travel of the Fox Coil-overs, and the desired ride height of the Jeep. It was a trial and error mocking up until the ride height (or close) was achieved. Now I need to play with the springs to get the rest of the height adjusted. Looking for 4" up travel, and 14" down.

The e-brake will be relocated to the left side of the driver's seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks awesome! The shop that built mine have several people asking about it so I don't think we'll be 1 & 2 much longer. What exhaust did you use? You can PM me if you like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The place that installed the engine also installed the custom exhaust. From the headers, 3" exhaust to the Magnaflow performance muffler, then a straight thru race muffler (too loud with out it) and gave it that deep throaty Ford sound.

I'm taking it off-roading this Saturday, so I'll report back with some details on how it did.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The place that installed the engine also installed the custom exhaust. From the headers, 3" exhaust to the Magnaflow performance muffler, then a straight thru race muffler (too loud with out it) and gave it that deep throaty Ford sound.

I'm taking it off-roading this Saturday, so I'll report back with some details on how it did.
Any wheeling reports from Saturday? Where did you take it wheeling?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the LJ to the east side of Michigan, where they opened a new ORV Park for the day, to show the local government and DNR that an ORV park would do the area great things. The Oakland County Parks has a 155 acre old gravel mine that they are converting to an ORV Park. Eventually, it will be 355 acres. For this event, they called it "The Frozen Mines". and teh event was put on by Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Club. It was ok, but in my opinion, not worth the 2 hour drive.
The Coyote LJ did amazing. More power than I am used to, but did everything I pointed it at. From hill climbs to steep declines to log jam obstacles.
Very happy with the end results!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool, wheeling it for the first time I'm sure felt great! Whats the park called? I googled it but it doesn't show any information other than news articles of it being approved. Is it open at this time or only for the event this past weekend?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool, wheeling it for the first time I'm sure felt great! Whats the park called? I googled it but it doesn't show any information other than news articles of it being approved. Is it open at this time or only for the event this past weekend?
The park isn't open yet. Michigan DNR and local government official had a "preview" of the 113 acres (will be 355 acres in 3 years) proposed ORV Park. They wanted to see how well it could handle 250 to 300 vehicles. This will be right next to Mount Holly Ski area along I-75.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I would do a little update. I've put on about 200 miles since the build. 125 or so on the road, the balance off-road. I might need to change out the muffler system. Sounds awesome taking off and shifting thru the 6 speed transmission, but 2,000 rpm at 60 mph, the loud hum tone is almost headache causing.
This past weekend a friend and I went Snow-wheeling about an hour north of Grand Rapids MI. 20+ inches of snow, and it put the tires and transmission to the test. Overall, still really happy with the build.

You know that saying, "you are only as old as you feel"? Well, my buddy Randy is 63, and I'm 55. We still enjoy going fast, blazing trails and serious rock crawling. In May we are heading to Windrock ORV Park in Tennessee, June to Canada for a week of wheeling, and in September, 3 weeks in Colorado mountain wheeling. Looking forward to putting the "Wild Dog" thru it's paces.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Muck'n in da bush" as my Canadian friends say. I have a buddy with a place on Whitefish Lake Near Wawa/Hawk Junction. He has found an area of various terrain for our small group to explore. Other than that, sit around a campfire, BS and drink! :drinks:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts