Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I have a 2006 Wrangler.My problem is the auto transmission slips after it has been driven 20 to 30 miles.It shifts good till then.First I hear a whining noise then it starts to slip

·
Knows a couple things...
49,411 Posts
First thing when the transmission starts acting differently is to correctly check its ATF level. Correctly meaning the engine MUST be running and warmed up during the ATF level check. Check the ATF level via the rear-most dipstick coming out from under the firewall on the passenger side. Don't confuse it with the engine oil level dipstick.

With the engine running, check both its level, smell, and the color of the ATF. Its color should be bright clear red and not smell burnt. And it should be up to the full mark on the dipstick.

Did I say the engine must be running during the transmission level check? ;)

I emphasize it so much for one reason, not everyone hears or 'gets' that the engine must be actually running for the ATF level check. My son working in Louisiana kept telling me his automatic transmission was not shifting properly and I kept giving him the above instructions on how to check the ATF level, emphasizing that the engine had to be running.

Then he called me again and said he checked it and said it was full, that the engine had just been running... apparently remembering something about that in my previous advice. I corrected him and repeated the engine had to actually be running during the level check. That's the only time the transmission's ATF pump is running. . He called me an hour later and sheepishly admitted it was actually nearly 4 quarts low when he checked it with the engine running. Adding nearly 4 quarts of ATF fixed his transmission's slippage problem.

No guarantees your slipping is caused by low ATF but it sure could be. That's what I'd check first if it were me.

And if it is low, ONLY add ATF+4. No other type of ATF is correct, not even Mobil-1 ATF is the correct ATF. If the bottle doesn't say ATF+4 in big letters on the front label, it's not the right stuff and it'll cause other problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts