Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 was running perfectly one day then went to drive it 2 days later and it started up normally but will not rev above 2100 rpm.
Like it hits a rev limiter. I can drive it around the block but it only revs to 2k. And when I got back and turned it off, it would not restart. let is get cold and it starts as normal.

2006 Rubicon
6 speed
124,000 miles

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
384 Posts
Is the check engine light on?

If you want to play parts darts......cam position sensor comes to mind.....bad OPDA. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hopefully you have codes stored. If you do not have a scanner, turning the key from OFF to ON 3 times without starting the engine will display any stored codes in the odometer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully you have codes stored. If you do not have a scanner, turning the key from OFF to ON 3 times without starting the engine will display any stored codes in the odometer.
I have had 1 cel for 3 years due to a bad cat. When I checked again, it looks like the CPS took a dump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more details on the CPS? What code(s) are you getting?
0340 = CPS
0058 = bad bank a o2 sensor

Apparition
Bad cat is where I’d look. -- nope, it is not plugged and runs fine with that code.

sequel
Bad fuel pump
Plugged cat ---The cat is not plugged, it is not a 1980s design.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Any more details on the CPS? What code(s) are you getting?
0340 = CPS

Apparition
Bad cat is where I’d look. -- nope, it is not plugged and runs fine with that code.

sequel
Bad fuel pump
My cat failed at 117,000 took a new code reader to tell me something other than random cylinder misfire. Just something to consider they do fail. Mine is an 06 LJ so same engine, same cats.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
0340 = CPS

Doesn't matter if it's a 1980s designed cat. They still plug. I worked on a Honda Pilot recently that had plugged cats. Engine RPM would go to 2000 and not any higher.

I don't think a cam sensor code on these engines will cause a limp mode. Not even sure these computers have a limp mode, but not 100% on that. The code criteria in the service manual doesn't reference that. The P0340 is set when there is no cam signal for 5 seconds or 2.5 engine revolution while there is a crank signal present.

I'd plug a scan tool in and look at o2 sensor data and look at front o2 sensor. Is it rich or clean when the rpms top out? Also look at short term and long term fuel trims when the rpms top out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I can confirm the P0340 will cause it to go into limp mode. Happened to me on I-75. Rev limiter would kick in at about 2500 RPM. Could not even drive the speed limit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With an '05-'06 TJ, P0340 is most often the result of using a non-OE camshaft position sensor.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cam-position-sensor-3950586/

Can you confirm whether or not the OPDA has been replaced and, if so, which CPS you are running, Mopar, Dorman, Crown?

P0058 indicates a faulty sensor or an issue with the wiring harness, not a bad cat. This code will NOT affect drivability.

The oxygen sensor's heater circuit is not activating, either because the sensor has failed of because the sensor is not receiving power from the PCM to activate the heater circuit. If you had codes for all 4 sensors, this would indicate a PCM issue. A single code indicates a faulty sensor, corroded/poor connection, or a short in the wiring harness, either from the sensor to the connector or the connector to the PCM.

This is bank 2, sensor 2, located below the rear mini cat. The wiring runs from the sensor up to a connector on top of the transmission in the gap between the engine block and the firewall.

The wiring from the PCM runs to the passenger side of the valve cover, then down below the coil rail where the wiring comes out of the loom and runs behind the engine. There are a few places there for the wiring to rub so it's worth a look for signs of chafing. You'll find easier access if you remove the coil rail. You can then unplug the sensor, pop the connector off the mounting bracket and pull the wiring out from behind the engine block.

There are 4 wires for the 2/2 sensor. The heater control wire is BR/GY.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts