Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I purchased a 2006 TJ 4.0L 6-speed manual last year. I was getting random stuttering and stalling on occasion. I have traced it to my PCM. If I press on the left side of my centre connector or the right side of my leftmost connector the jeep hesitates and stalls.

I removed the PCM connectors and there is no corrosion, I cleaned them with contact cleaner and reseated them. The problem is still there. I'm fearing this is an issue in the PCM.

Has anybody experienced this before? I haven't had a chance yet to take the back off the connectors and check for issues. The fact that this happens on both connectors which flex roughly the same spot on the PCM tells me I'm probably dealing with a PCM issue.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm interested in the wranglerfix option but the exchange rate and shipping cost make it almost cost prohibitive.

I've been looking at units by Cardone but don't know how they hold up, are there any other options. I don't know if I can get one programmed locally so I would like to purchase a unit that can be pre-programmed.

I am tempted to take it apart and try to fix the board (Don't worry I have experience with PCB repair). I wonder how many people have been successful. Seems it may be something as simple as a cold solder joint, but then again that my be the end of it all together.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
Cardone is JUNK in my personal opinion, I wouldn't touch anything from them

A cold or broken solder joint is definitely fixable when you know what you're doing. It's worth a shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the advice. I may take it apart and try to fix it, what do I have to lose.

Seems like my best option is wranglerfix, everything I read comes back to them. Maybe it's best to go that route if I can't get this one fixed rather than wasting money on something that's going to put me back in the same situation.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
First it is not a common issue he has the manual tranny and the common issue is the 4 connector auto pcm of 05-06

Next it sounds like wiring not pcm if you bother to read his post

Look at wiring harness where it passes near or contacts the rear bolt on battery hold down

Can get abraded and short wires to ground there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
First it is not a common issue he has the manual tranny and the common issue is the 4 connector auto pcm of 05-06

Next it sounds like wiring not pcm if you bother to read his post

Look at wiring harness where it passes near or contacts the rear bolt on battery hold down

Can get abraded and short wires to ground there

It is more common on autos, yes, but it can also happen on manuals.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2006-jeep-wrangler-auto-transmission-98702-6.html#post20352465

·
Retired Moderator
100,553 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice. I may take it apart and try to fix it, what do I have to lose.

Seems like my best option is wranglerfix, everything I read comes back to them. Maybe it's best to go that route if I can't get this one fixed rather than wasting money on something that's going to put me back in the same situation.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
Tearing into a PCM that is not the issue or replacing it would both be bonehead moves

Further evaluating the problem before making assumptions is better as ready aim fire beats ready fire aim almost every time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't worry about that, I'd never tear into it without thoroughly checking the wiring and PCM connectors. I don't enjoy foolishly wasting time and money. I just came here to see if anybody had experienced the same issue so I can save some time and hopefully share my findings so save time for somebody else.

My biggest bonehead move was buying a Jeep TJ...haha

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't worry about that, I'd never tear into it without thoroughly checking the wiring and PCM connectors. I don't enjoy foolishly wasting time and money. I just came here to see if anybody had experienced the same issue so I can save some time and hopefully share my findings so save time for somebody else.

My biggest bonehead move was buying a Jeep TJ...haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a whole bunch of us TJ lovers and enthusiasts who consider them reliable great wheelers who would vociferously disagree with that comment

You misunderstood, by that I mean I started an obsession. I love the thing. I have a new truck, but I'd rather drive my Jeep. I always wanted one and bought one because my 2 year old got obsessed with them. It's our play toy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts