Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Wrangler has 112000 miles. I purchased it in 2010 with 40000 miles. I have followed service manual meticulously. Automatic transmission will not shift up from 2nd gear. This happened suddenly with no prior warning (noises, vibrations, check engine light etc..). Trans fluid is at proper level. I have not pulled the code for the check engine light that came on when shifting problem occurred. I’m figuring I’m probably going to have some serious and expensive trans work. Just wanted to post on here in case anyone knows of a possible easy fix so I could trouble shoot first. I’ve combed through the forums and found a few possibilities but nothing specific. Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,824 Posts
My 2006 Wrangler has 112000 miles. I purchased it in 2010 with 40000 miles. I have followed service manual meticulously. Automatic transmission will not shift up from 2nd gear. This happened suddenly with no prior warning (noises, vibrations, check engine light etc..). Trans fluid is at proper level. I have not pulled the code for the check engine light that came on when shifting problem occurred. I’m figuring I’m probably going to have some serious and expensive trans work. Just wanted to post on here in case anyone knows of a possible easy fix so I could trouble shoot first. I’ve combed through the forums and found a few possibilities but nothing specific. Any help greatly appreciated!
2005/6 Wranglers with automatics have a lot of problems with the TCM (transmission control module) that was integrated into the PCM starting in 2005. I'd call Mark @wranglerfix at www.Wranglerfix.com and talk with him. He can figure out if your problem is likely fixable by replacing the PCM with one of his. They have really figured out the 2005-6 PCM issues, I'd definitely talk with Mark who is a good guy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2005/6 Wranglers with automatics have a lot of problems with the TCM (transmission control module) that was integrated into the PCM starting in 2005. I'd call Mark @wranglerfix at www.Wranglerfix.com and talk with him. He can figure out if your problem is likely fixable by replacing the PCM with one of his. They have really figured out the 2005-6 PCM issues, I'd definitely talk with Mark who is a good guy.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not only to I agree with Jerry, I bought the wranglerfix.com PCM from my '06 LJ two years ago and have been very happy. No hard shifts through the heat of two Alabama summers. I consider the problem solved with the new PCM.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,824 Posts
You should find what code(s) you are getting. That might be an important clue.
X2, and you'll need an external code reader to get them all. The standard built-in code reader won't get past the generic P0700 code that only says there's some kind of a transmission problem, it does not get down to the deeper codes that provide more detail that an external code reader will find and display. I just use the least expensive Harbor Freight Tools reader which gets all of the codes without problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts