Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I鈥檓 doing a transmission oil filter change and found a couple hidden surprises!
First transmission pan hole that was once fixed but is now garbage ( easy fix ) new pan馃憤
But look at photo of transmission I鈥檓 adding
What is this and is it even worth new oil and filter or should I just get a new transmission
Back story : transmission is slipping in 3rd gear not too bad but noticeable when trying to pass cars
Jeep dropped into limp mode 2nd gear only found out the linkage fell off of shifter fixed that and it worked fine for a week decided to do a transmission service

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Liquid Rim

Retired Moderator
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
As for the Trans pan, Nasty. It time to have it rebuilt, or another trans, and flush out the lines.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transmission pan is garbage

There is no welding it with that much rust on it
But wondering is anyone else has had this many small cracks on the bottom of transmission ( look at first photo )

Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK
Judging from the indentations on the trans pan...what we're seeing there is stress cracks in the valve body from an impact. It's hard to say whether or not that is going to affect your trans, but the problems you are describing could very well be the result. Your repair could be as simple as swapping in another valve body. You didn't mention how many miles you had on your Jeep, or how the fluid looked. I would base your decision to rebuild on those factors, as well as how long it's been slipping in 3rd. You may have already burned your clutches too bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

burnt fluid one big chunky and a decent amount of metal shavings
The Jeep has 210,000km
I鈥檝e only owned it for a couple months but previous owner had big tires and hauled a trailer ( didn鈥檛 find that out till after I bought it )
It鈥檚 such a strangle place for a impact to cause spider cracks like that and the hole in the pan isn鈥檛 under that section. Plus no dents on transmission pan except the one hole and some rust.
I guess my main question is what would cause those cracks extreme heat and pressure ?

Registered
After hearing the story about the previous owner, that seems to be the issue. Simply an overworked and under-cooled transmission. Those could be heat stress fractures, but it's hard to imagine a transmission getting hot enough for that. As far as the shavings in your pan...that is to be expected after 130k miles. That sliver could be indicative of another issue though. I would suggest a full rebuild after seeing everything that you have going on. Better to be safe than sorry.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After hearing the story about the previous owner, that seems to be the issue. Simply an overworked and under-cooled transmission. Those could be heat stress fractures, but it's hard to imagine a transmission getting hot enough for that. As far as the shavings in your pan...that is to be expected after 130k miles. That sliver could be indicative of another issue though. I would suggest a full rebuild after seeing everything that you have going on. Better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks for the info jsukey
I do agree it鈥檚 time for a new transmission
I鈥檝e just never seen cracks like this before

Registered
No problem. Considering the amount of damage to the trans pan, who's to say it hadn't already been replaced before you got it? Like I said...it's hard to imagine those stress cracks forming from too much heat, as the Jeep would have no longer been driveable had it gotten that hot. That sliver of metal could be something from the top part of the valve body that broke off from an impact. If you get someone to rebuild it, have them take a pic of the bottom of the trans after they remove the valve body. I think it would be interesting to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts