Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and probably only post, but I’m hoping for some feedback in case I missed something. Visiting daughter in Guam and drove to service station to get her 2007 Jeep Wrangler 2-door. She says it’s a JK, so I’ll take her word for it. Drove for about an hour around the southern part of the island, then got into stop and go traffic when getting back to civilization. A few minutes later the overtemp light comes on with an audible alarm. Before we could pull off into a parking lot the alarm went off several more times and she said the temp gauge was spiked high in the red. Shut down and popped the hood. Radiator fluid was bubbling out of the overflow port on the reservoir. I let everything cool down. Fluid in reservoir was above the max level. I suspected a failed thermostat, but noticed an electrical wiring harness was loose (not fully seated) along the top of the radiator / fan. Is this the harness that controls the fan motor? I reseated the harness till it clicked in the locked position. I had my daughter restart the engine but then noticed the reservoir was just about empty. I popped the radiator cap and it was full, but just to be safe hiked to a gas station and bought some radiator fluid and poured about 3/4 gallon into the reservoir till just below the max line. Drove home about 3 miles with the temp gauge steady at the 12 o’clock position. I guess I’m looking for some verification my logic is solid and that there’s not some underlying additional issue that I missed. I think there was enough airflow at 35mph to keep from overheating until we got back into town, then with less airflow in rush hour traffic and no fan (assuming that harness was for the fan motor) that we got the overheat. I just don’t want to leave her with an unreliable ride when I leave tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
From your user name, I must assume Naval Aviator. Thank you for your service, I flew S-2s from '66 to '70.

That may be the fan controller connection which would explain heating up in traffic. Hopefully you caught it in time. You might want to make sure there is no air bubble in the top of the radiator. With it cold, remove the cap and make sure it is full to the bottom of the tube to the reservoir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I flew the mighty A-6 from 84-93. Only S-2F guy I knew was a friend of my Dad’s, a guy named George “Zeke” Zaludek. Daughter is an MH-60S helo pilot. Fun times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And we drove for several hours today without an overheat incident. But see my separate post for the other issue we encountered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts