Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a true factory JK Shop Manual? Recent event with local dealer means I will be back to doing all my own service and repair.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JOE002. Does the CD have info on servicing the trans. IE. Removing the trans pan is an unreal pain in the butt. No room between the exhaust and cross member. The rear twp corner bolts are difficult to get to. The middle two bolts are almost impossible to get to. There is a write up on Project JKs website, but it glosses over how to remove the rear bolts. I broke a 1/4 universal and cut my hand trying. In frustration I went to the local dealer (big mistake). $268.00 and it still leaks. Lucky there are two other jeep dealers withing sixty miles. If anyone is going to service their trans, I would suggest they first try to get to the two middle bolts on the rear of the trans. Thanks again Joe.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Looking at the FSM for fluid/service removal of the pan...

They highlight that one bolts is "special":
NOTE: One of the oil pan bolts (5) has a sealing patch applied from the factory. Separate this bolt for reuse.

Otherwise, loosen the bolts, tap the pan to break it loose, drain the fluid, remove the pan. Nothing special about the other issues you mentioned.

They say to tighten the bolts to 20 N•m (14.5 ft. lbs.) and re-apply Mopar® Silicone Adhesive to the special bolt.

I've heard that the CD version may have issues with non-IE browsers (works fine under XP and IE 8), and like I said it doesn't have a search feature, so you have to go the installation directory and use the OS to search the files.

I typically find what I want to work on, print the pages, and bring the printed pages out to the garage and write on them/get them dirty as necessary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joe002 said:
Looking at the FSM for fluid/service removal of the pan...

They highlight that one bolts is "special":
NOTE: One of the oil pan bolts (5) has a sealing patch applied from the factory. Separate this bolt for reuse.

Otherwise, loosen the bolts, tap the pan to break it loose, drain the fluid, remove the pan. Nothing special about the other issues you mentioned.

They say to tighten the bolts to 20 N•m (14.5 ft. lbs.) and re-apply Mopar® Silicone Adhesive to the special bolt.

I've heard that the CD version may have issues with non-IE browsers (works fine under XP and IE 8), and like I said it doesn't have a search feature, so you have to go the installation directory and use the OS to search the files.

I typically find what I want to work on, print the pages, and bring the printed pages out to the garage and write on them/get them dirty as necessary.
Joe I went to Svc manual cite and got a virus. On iPhone now

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Joe I went to Svc manual cite and got a virus. On iPhone now
That stinks.

I just clicked the link again and I don't see anything strange. I have a site checker on my browser, a software firewall, a hardware firewall, and real-time virus protection and I don't see any alarms going off...

I also clicked on the CD link and no issues.

techauthority.com is a Chrysler site.

What virus did you get?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey: Just got windows reloaded. Lost all my photos and files. The virus was something llike Windows XP virus protection 2012. Would not let me do anything but ask did I want to subscribe or not. I use registery mechanic and windows security for protection. Anyway, I have a two week old back up and I own all my software. Just a pain to reinstall all of it. Anyway thanks for your help. BTW have you looked at your trans pan. I think the only I can get to those rear bolts is to disconnect the exhaust at the header and try to shift it out of the way.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hey: Just got windows reloaded. Lost all my photos and files. The virus was something llike Windows XP virus protection 2012. Would not let me do anything but ask did I want to subscribe or not. I use registery mechanic and windows security for protection. Anyway, I have a two week old back up and I own all my software. Just a pain to reinstall all of it. Anyway thanks for your help. BTW have you looked at your trans pan. I think the only I can get to those rear bolts is to disconnect the exhaust at the header and try to shift it out of the way.
Sorry to hear you lost your photos - wonder how you got it? Yeah, it’s a PITA to re-load all of your stuff.

I just looked at the pan. Yeah, those rear bolts look hard to get. Maybe a flexible/swivel socket/extension? Maybe you could start a new thread asking if anyone has dropped their pan and how they got the rear bolts off?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe: Yeah I tried a quarter inch extension with an universal swivel. Broke the swivel and cut my hand bad. I will try a thread tomorrow. Thanks again for the reply. John

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Joe: Yeah I tried a quarter inch extension with an universal swivel. Broke the swivel and cut my hand bad. I will try a thread tomorrow. Thanks again for the reply. John
Sounds like I have all kinds of bad ideas for you. Well, hope you have better luck tomorrow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts