Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi jeep lovers,

I am a 2007 sahara owner. I run oversized tires, rough country suspension, the whole deal, etc.....

I bought my jeep with 60k on it and it is now at 79k. It has an Automatic trans. Please see below for info on my trans problems....

About two weeks ago, I started hearing a sound when I shift from 1st to 2nd. It sounds kind of like a coat zipper being zipped up real fast (but louder). There are no clunking sounds and it doesn't show any signs of slippage. It only makes a sound from 1st to 2nd.

I took it to a small time transmission dealer and he said it may be the barring in the middle of the transmission but he wasn't sure. He didn't charge me for the diagnoses so im not sure he did a "real" diagnoses.

I looked at the trans fluid today and it was dark in color (black, brown) but it doesn't smell burnt or have flakes in it.

My question is....Is there a good chance it just needs flushed and the tranny doctor overlooked this?The fluid hasn't been flushed yet and I do take it on the occasional off-road excursions but nothing to intense. Like I said, it is just a sound at this pt.

Please advise and let me know if anybody has had this experience or has a good idea of what it may be.....

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You definitely need to get it into a shop and have them do a Complete Exchange. Not a splash & fill but you need to get all of the old fluid out.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You definitely need a trans. fluid/filter change. There have been problems with 07-11 transmission modulators causing similar problems. It needs to be professionally diagnosed by a reputable trans. shop, not a quick lube type place. If there's a local reputable trans. shop in your area, that would be the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts