Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post here! I need some help with my door hinges. After researching and PB Blasting the hinges for a week, some friends and I finally tried to take the doors off my 2007 JKU. We tried the lift and wiggle approach, floor jack approach, etc with only one of the 4 coming off. We had three pretty strong guys working on the hinges and the other 3 wouldnt budge at all.

Out of desperation, we finally just removed the hinges from the body of the jeep and went on our way.

Two questions... Did I screw up with the removal of the hinges (re-alignment, etc)? And what's my best option for hinge replacement w/o spending $800 at Quadratec?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
If its not leaking then you didn't screw anything up. Can you pry the hinges apart now that they are off the jeep? It'll mess up the paint a bit but a little touch up paint will fix it and save you money on a replacement

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did the same thing on my 08. When putting them back on don't tighten the hinges all the way, let them have a little play in them. Put the doors back on and close it real slow, then tighten the hinges up..... good as new. Just make sure you grease the pins for easy removal next time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hinges Fixed!

Thanks for the info. I got the hinges apart and I wanted to share how I did it.

Step 1: Get 7.5 beers to stay hydrated. Trust me. 7.5
Step 2: Get trusty can of PB Blaster (or WD-40).
Step 3: Get Large Vicegrips, small wooden block, paper towels.
Step 4: Notice that California claims something in PB Blaster causes cancer. If you live in California, use hemp oil or something.
Step 5: Wrap small wooden block in paper towel to avoid scratching paint.
Step 6: Clamp wooden block to outside (painted) side of hinge as tight as you can, as close to the middle of the hinge as you can.
Step 7: Soak middle of hinge in PB Blaster/Hippie oil.
Step 8: Lean door against something that wont scratch it, as close to vertical as possible.
Step 9: While moving the hinge back and forth with the vice grips, apply downward pressure with your foot. Not too much, just enough to help keep your balance.
Step 10: You will notice that each hinge will develop a sweet spot where the resistance is minimal. Re-soak in oil and continue with moderate downward pressure with your foot.
Step 11: Continually watch hinge to be ready for it to pop off. Be careful to not scratch paint when this happens (I clipped a small piece of heavy paper to the door to catch the hinge as it came off).

These sound like a lot of steps, but after spending 2 hours with three people and a floor jack this way seems much much easier. And trust me, my hinges were basically seized up. I'll try to attach some pics of the process.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks for the write up. i think i may be having the same issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts