Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a shaking in the steering wheel when I brake - sometimes. Other times it brakes smoothly and there is no shake in the wheel. I initially thought warped rotor since they are relatively new as I installed the Crown Big Brake Kit this past fall. It has developed in the past month.

My question is this, has anyone experienced this type of intermittent shaking and had it actually be a warped rotor? My thought is if the rotor is warped, it would shake all of the time but I am interested in others experiences.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Warped rotors are the most common issue. It can depend on speed as well, so if you're experiencing shaking at "high speeds" (above 40) and none below, it still could be "warped rotors".

Check your brake pads as well for uneven wear (pad failure or poor seating) and the caliper for "freezing" or "leaking", all could be possible.

Another test is to see if the jeep pulls to one side when you apply the brake (use a straight, flat road, under 30 and let go of the steering wheel). If the jeep pulls, warped rotors or caliper is "freezing" and it should pull to the side with the most warp (you may only have one rotor warped) or the side with the working caliper (that's the only one working and stopping the jeep).

Hopefully, everything is still under warranty and you'll get a "free replacement".

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts