Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 JK Sahara unlimited. Stock (at the moment). Purchased Trucklite LED lights and pulse width modulation adapters. Installed easily. Now when I turn on the headlights, there is a 2 second delay before any lights come on (including the parking lights). Once the headlights are on, they start blinking off and on for 2 or 3 cycles of 2 seconds each then go out. Same with high beams. I tested with ignition off and the lights stay on until I get bored and either switch them off or start the engine again. I searched and did not find a good solution (might not have searched for the right term). The jeep behaves just fine with the original lights. I thought I got a bad set so contacted Quadratec who promptly sent me another complete set. Same behavior. Do I have a bad headlight switch, bad batch of lights, a computer problem, or what? Any thoughts on additional diagnostics?

·
Administrator
42,599 Posts
Welcome to Wrangler Forum.

Remove the adapter and see how they act.

Bob K.
This would be my suggestion too. I have an '07 also and I run trucklights without any special adapters (except for the wiring)

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Click here for helpful tips for newcomers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unhooked the modulation adapters and just used the supplied pigtails. Same behavior. Interestingly, the behavior only occurs with the engine running. With the ignition in the run position but engine off, the lights are just on. Still the same 2 or 3 second delay when I turn the switch on. There was no delay with the original lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Realized the pics don't look too good.
Driver side white w blue stripe to green on pigtail
Middle brown or gray with blue to center white on pigtail.
White w green stripe to red on pigtail.

Passenger side white w lt brown to green on pigtail.
Middle brown or gray w blue stripe to white on pigtail
Remaining white with blue or gray stripe to red on pigtail

Looking at the pigtails from the back, the green is on top with white on left and red to the right. Modulation pigtails are exactly the same.
Looking at the adapter to headlight, colors match positions on both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I found another post somewhere to check for a DTC or was that DCT code? Anyway, I did the key off on thing and came up with no codes. Just the dashes on the odometer then a done. Still scratching my head on this one. My immediate thought is the computer is doing something and killing the lights. But what? Why on mine and not others? And, most importantly, how the heck do I make it stop / fix it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to meter the lights with the engine off. 11.95 volts with the leads on white to red. 0.74 volts white to green. 11.1 red to green. I tested ohms with lights off nothing registered on any combo.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
White is the ground. Green is low beam, Red is high beam. Flip the high beams on and you should see the 11.95 volts there as well. If your system is causing the issue, you may want a separate wiring harness and use the headlight leads as relay triggers.

Bob K.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What is in the pulse width modulation adapters. If they are just a capacitor it will not fool your Chrysler CANBUS system. The capacitor will stop the flicker but a resistor is needed also. The resistor helps your computer see the 55w load it's looking for. If it sees less due to using LEDs it assumes their is a problem with the bulb and does some weird stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update. The harness showed up Monday which was awesome! The problem is we were all sick all week. And we're on our vacation today for 10 days or so. I'll take pics and do the install when we get back. I do have a question though. I read the install instructions and it says to mount the relays behind the battery. I'm thinking if I drill a hole I would hit the heater core. I was thinking about a bracket that would get bolted to the single bolt that is in that location. At quick glance, it looks like a bolt for the battery tray.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts