Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to this forum but not car forums in general. I am looking into a 2007 Wrangler 2 door at a great price. It has 46K miles on it which is a little high but OK for me as this will be a third vehicle. I am having it inspected by a Jeep dealership next week. I am wondering if there are any specific items to look for on a Jeep of this year and mileage. It's an automatic (compromise with the wife).

We'll use it for camping and general top down fun. I've owned a TJ in the past. We are going to a JK for the added room and I like the fact it can take bigger tires without a lift. I'll probably just put Rubicon wheel on it and be done. I'll do light off roading in it but most love the Jeep for its lack of top, good looks and overall fun drive in the CA weather...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought an 07 in 08 with 10,000 miles and around 22,000 I started getting some steering wobble. That is the only issue I have had. I think I have it corrected, but my advise would be to have them go over the steering components with a fine tooth comb. There seems to be several things that can cause the wobble, so all components should be checked and anything remotely loose should be replaced. I am sure you will get some other good advice from members more knowledgeable then me.
EDIT:
By the way, what part of N Cal are you from? I was born in Eureka, and have a borther that still lives up in CresCent city. Just curious.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
There aren't any real "problem areas" with the JK- just some areas a lot of folks upgrade :)
If it's been wheeled, check the auto trans fluid- the lack of a proper tranny cooler causes overheating for some folks. Also, if it's been modified, check those areas 3X- modified rigs are the most likely to give you headaches! (TRUST ME ;))
Otherwise, check the usuals- fluids, tires, underneath, etc. Make sure EVERYTHING works. Do NOT be afraid to beat on it- drive it like you stole it on your test drive. Take your time, and do NOT let yourself be rushed by the salesman, wife, etc. You're dropping $$$$ on this thing- find ALL the issues NOW, not later.
Welcome to the forum, and best of luck! Mark W.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. The Jeep's had the issue with the steering column corrected. It has not been off-road. Fortunately the dealership I am having it inspected at is not the one I am buying it from (private party). The thing is bone stock so no after market parts to worry about....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts