Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying this vehicle. It's got lots of mileage, but not used off road. From pics it appears to be stock. Just wondering about long term reliability of jeeps around this model year? Engine and transmission problems mostly. It would be an extra car and not a daily driver. Price is 7k, which I thought was high, but kbb had it at 8k, so I guess it's a deal.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Wrangler resale is very high.
Wranglers are very reliable, but I can't think of any passenger vehicle that is reliable enough for me to buy with over a quarter million miles. If I had a shop and tools out back, then yes.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I wouldn't pay 7K for a base Wrangler X with over 250K miles. Maybe 3-4K max. and only if repairs were documented. kbb is an average indicator, their figures aren't etched in stone. At any given time the trans., especially if it's an auto., engine, drivetrain, etc. can tank. It's your call. If you're extremely handy regarding auto repairs and you can get it at a reasonable price, maybe. IMO 7K isn't reasonable. You can most likely find a lower mileage JK at a fair price.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Chances are many people arent lined up to buy with that many miles. If you really want it and willing to make some repairs down the road, I would offer $4-4500 and go from there. That is not a lowball offer for something with that many miles.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't care what the miles are.. you aren't buying a JK for less than $8k anywhere. Jump on the deal, prepare to swap an LS motor/Tranny in when the 3.8 gives it up. Hell, a ragged out TJ with 250k will bring $5k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you REALLY want it ... Carmax buys cars as old as 10 yrs. Tell him you'll meet him there and give him 10% over their written offer on the spot.

·
Registered
705 Posts
And you are almost to the point that you start encountering failure of basic rubber components in the engine bay and outer part of the Jeep. My TJ had multiple cracks in different lines, AC developed a pin hole in one of the lines and a few other problems. That's a rats nest when things start failing and you have no idea where it is failing.

Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock #HardrockREVjku
Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything with 250k mi regardless of price. While it certainly could go many more miles. Odds are not on your side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
Vehicles have changed a lot over the years. It used to be that one would fall off the value cliff once it hit 50K miles. I guess now it over 100K. But Jeeps still further. I never would have believed that I would buy an 11 year old Jeep with 112K miles on it, but I did. I have had to spend some money on it - new top and new tires don't count on the mileage. I expected a new clutch at 119K, but it still runs great at 124K. Would I drive it long distance? No. The furthest it has traveled is 70 miles one way for a scouting weekend.

That being said, I don't believe the 3.8L has the longevity reputation that the 4.0L and 4.2L do. Either of those would sell with those miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vehicles have changed a lot over the years. It used to be that one would fall off the value cliff once it hit 50K miles. I guess now it over 100K. But Jeeps still further. I never would have believed that I would buy an 11 year old Jeep with 112K miles on it, but I did. I have had to spend some money on it - new top and new tires don't count on the mileage. I expected a new clutch at 119K, but it still runs great at 124K. Would I drive it long distance? No. The furthest it has traveled is 70 miles one way for a scouting weekend.

That being said, I don't believe the 3.8L has the longevity reputation that the 4.0L and 4.2L do. Either of those would sell with those miles.

I have 37k original miles on my 2001 TJ 4.0L 5mt. It is a rock solid engine. I would pass on this 2007 with so many miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts