Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Thinking about buying a 2008 Rubicon 2dr w/44k miles on it. Has tons of mods and seems like its been taken care of by 3rd(?) owner. Has crazy big tires (37's) but also has tons of upgrades that were supposedly professionally done by 2nd owner (owner before the current owner).

- 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, and 6 speed transmission.
Custom work includes:
- 4 inch lift on Bilstien shocks
- 1 inch frame up lift for increased clearance
- ORF front and rear bumpers, with winch/tow capabilities
- completely rebuilt front axle that has been built for the trail, it is completely trussed with chromoly shafts and upgraded bearings
- ORF solid steel skid guards
- Rubicon rock sliders
- Bushwacker custom styling fender flares for improved clearance
- Front and rear Rubicon differential lockers
- Upgraded front sway bar disconnect
- River Raider Snorkel and cold air intake, placing the air intake just above the hoodline
- upgraded cat-back exhaust
- Warn M8000 winch with upgraded synthetic winch line
- Sitting on Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 37x12.5 with plenty of life left
- BlackRock offroad 17inch wheels
- Upgraded steering gear to compensate for the large tires
- LED front offroad/fog lights
- LED reverse lights
- Wilson Communications cell phone range extender professionally wired in with on/off switch for use on the trail
- professionally mounted/wired CB radio communications
- Weather-tec floor liners

I'm more of a modest 4 wheeler guy.....more of a "poser" who just likes to cruise through the woods, check stuff out, and use the 4x4 systems when needed to get out of trouble, etc. I don't go out looking to rock crawl, see what the vehicle can do, etc. It would get fairly light road/highway use (basically driving it to the nearby mountains/forests to cruise around in).

price is around $25k.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this package for this price?

Are the 2008's a good year? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks for any and all input. :Thanx:

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Did they do a regear?

4.10 on 37's with the 3.8 is not a desirable combination. In fact, it's horrible.

4" is a ton of lift for a 2dr. And a body lift?

I don't like the sound of it at all...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have 2008 x and it's the biggest pos I ever owned, and I only have 45k on it. Since your not going rock climbing, do you really need a Rubicon? Why not a brand new x with zero miles for about the same price, then your not buying someone else's problem. Think about it... you can put your own touch to it.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'd pass, too many major mods, especially if you're thinking of using this as a DD.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
What they said ^^^^.

·
Registered
421 Posts
with all those 'wonderful mods' why would someone dump it at such short mileage?

Not to cause trouble, such a rig set up pretty similar to having a bipolar ex spouse.

I'd pass and generally favor NEW in your description of use.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Wow....Thanks for all of the responses! That's why I dig sites like these and the valued/appreciated info and advise in these forums!! :awesome:

I appreciate everyone's input and advice to look at something that would be more suited for my type of jeep use. Maybe something more recent in the X or Sport packages. As much as I like the Rubicon features.....I think you guys are right....why pay for something I will probably hardly/never use(?). However, I would like to go down to a few trails in MOAB, etc. and having the Rubi package might help the resale too. And I really dig the idea of the lockers if/when ya ever need them.

Also, from what I read.....I may want to get the newer model V6 (3.6L?) which I guess is at year 2010 or more recent? Some people seem to mention that the this 3.8L that was used in the first couple years of the JK generation wasn't their best.....at least compared to the 3.6L? Anyone's thoughts on that?

I too was wondering why this many owners of the vehicle in this time frame? I wold be the 4th since 2008. Not to mention, I also have some physical limitations (arthritis) that has really robbed me of some strength. Fairly often I'm by myself so if I did have a flat tire issue somewhere, those 37's would be impossible for me to deal with, alone. I have never even imagined going bigger than 35's...if that. A friend had an older Bronco that was all dolled up and his 35's seemed plenty.

It's a nice looking gig, for sure....but probably not what I need or could use comfortably. When I park my sedan on Friday evening, I use my current POS 1999 TJ for cruising around in, for the rest of the weekend. Whether it's back country roads, up to the store or, into the city.....asphalt or dirt, I'm headed there in the jeep with the top and doors off (from May thru Oct.).

Anyone else? feel free to add any more thoughts.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
2012 and up is the newer 3.6 engine, I think it has about 80-85 more HP.
I suggested a pass on the Jeep due to mods, and price, not because of the year and because it's Rubicon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2012 and up is the newer 3.6 engine, I think it has about 80-85 more HP.
I suggested a pass on the Jeep due to mods, and price, not because of the year and because it's Rubicon.
No worries, I understand what you mean. Thanks for the opinions on the mods and the clarification.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd try to find something newer. $25K seems a bit steep. Plus you will likely want to build one to your exact tastes and wants.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Based on what is there, I'd say it is grossly over-valued.

A nine year old vehicle with 44,000 miles? I'm always suspicious with such low mileage and multiple owners.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Based on what is there, I'd say it is grossly over-valued.

A nine year old vehicle with 44,000 miles? I'm always suspicious with such low mileage and multiple owners.
I bought my 08 2 door Sport 2 years ago with 43k miles, for $17800. It's been exactly what I wanted: fun, reliable, fun, capable, handy... did I mention fun?

Burns a half quart of oil in 4k miles, doesn't leak in the rainy PNW, gets hot inside when it's 90+ outside (no a/c)...

Carfax showed 4 owners: the original dealer (in Canada), the 1st purchaser, the trade-in dealer, and the dealer from whom I bought it... 1 human, 3 dealers moving inventory... don't judge the vehicle on the number, but the actuality, of owners.

Too many mods for my taste to make this one appealing, imho.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
A few things:

1. 44k "low mileage" seems like a good thing. It is not. Based on your description of the vehicle, most likely the majority of these miles were spent off road. 44k off road miles = 200k miles on road lol. Jeep probably took a great deal of abuse.

2. 4.10 ratio with the old engine is not a good combo with 37s. You would want 5.13s or 5.37s.

3. A body lift with a manual transmission sometimes leads to issues. Common for the Jeep to pop out of gear.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone's input. I'm going to pass on this thing. From everything I've researched it sounds like I may be happier, in the long run, with buying a 2012 or newer with the 3.6l.

I really appreciate all of you that took time to chime in and provide your $.02 worth. Your input and opinions were highly valued. Thanks again. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts