Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2008 Jeep JK with a 4" lift and 35" tires. I own a Rpod RP-176T that I tow with it when we go to Moab. Unfortunately, ever since I got the RV I keep blowing rear shocks. In the span of 1 year (since I've gotten the RV) I have gone through 2 sets of shocks. Sometimes just the driver side blows, sometimes both blow. The tongue weight of the RV per manufacturer is only 278lbs. I am a total newbie when it comes to shocks and pulling RVs, so I have no clue other than thinking the RV is too heavy for the Jeep. I was told by the RV dealership that my Jeep would easily pull the RV and that the GVWR was within range of my Jeep as long as the RV was not too overloaded, which it is not. Any ideas you guys have (please take into account my lack of knowledge) would be great. I have been pulling my skeeter bass boat with this Jeep for years with no blown shocks. If the RV is too heavy, is there anything I can do to remedy the problem besides pull it with something else?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would suggest you go to a shop where they specialize in Jeeps, suspension. If you are using a stock suspension and stock shocks maybe its time to upgrade to better shocks, etc. I'm no expert in hauling stuff but your Jeep is more than capable, but you have to use the right stuff as well

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
What brand shocks? Have you tried a different shock?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The shocks are not bottoming out are they? make sure the bumpstop bottoms before the shock, if not add bumpstop (or get shorter shocks)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shocks are ProComp ES9000s. Both times they were leaking oil. I will check for the bump stops. The car was bought at the dealership with the 4" lift and ProComp shocks. So I had professionals do it. When the first set blew, the dealership replaced it with another set of ProComps. I live in the mountains at 7500 ft and the mountain passes I go on are huge boulder passes, so there's lots of room to bottom out and overextend the shocks.
Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts