Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have found a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and had a couple quick questions. It is for sale priced at $15,989 right now and currently has 115,281 miles.

Is this high milage to worry about with this year and engine? Any other problems to look out for while looking at this jeep? Is this a good price?

Any tips, pointers or comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Prices are highly geographically dependent. In general, the miles are very high on that Jeep and so is the price. If it's at a dealer then you can always get them to come down.

You can get a good idea of the right price by looking at the KBB value and the asking price on sites like cars.com for Jeeps in your area. They provide a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
My 2008 Sahara unlimited had 165k when I bought it last month for $13.5k..

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
How is she currently running? Any problems or anything.
Only some stupid little things that I have taken care of - Replaced the thermostat and temp sensor. It was throwing up cooling system codes at idle. Seems straight now.

Now - I did have the dealer add on a 250K extended warranty - it was worth it to me for the engine/trans/transfercase alone... But, it covers all drivetrain/engine and also windshield / rim damage. $100 deductible... hence why I did my own thermostat and sensor - both are pretty cheap repairs.

I had a used 99 GC that I dumped about $4k into the trans and t-case within a year of buying it - which is why I definitely want the powertrain warranty.

All that being said - she runs like a champ - and doesn't seem to drink oil, etc... I get decent gas mileage (about 17.5mpg combined).. This is the old 3.8 after all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only some stupid little things that I have taken care of - Replaced the thermostat and temp sensor. It was throwing up cooling system codes at idle. Seems straight now.

Now - I did have the dealer add on a 250K extended warranty - it was worth it to me for the engine/trans/transfercase alone... But, it covers all drivetrain/engine and also windshield / rim damage. $100 deductible... hence why I did my own thermostat and sensor - both are pretty cheap repairs.

I had a used 99 GC that I dumped about $4k into the trans and t-case within a year of buying it - which is why I definitely want the powertrain warranty.

All that being said - she runs like a champ - and doesn't seem to drink oil, etc... I get decent gas mileage (about 17.5mpg combined).. This is the old 3.8 after all.
That's awesome to hear! Just noticed you lived in Fenton MI. I'm from downriver if you know where that area is at. Currently looking at this Jeep here: Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara For Sale in Southfield MI | 1J4GA59118L653056 right around my budget range for what I can spend looking forward to checking it out. Just currently trying to do my research right now. Nice you were able to find a great wrangler. How was the carfax with it? Currently looking at the one I'm checking out not many service records but I guess those are hard to come by.

If you don't mind me asking did you buy from a dealership? As well as how did you go by acquiring that warranty. Did you have to ask for it or was it offered as well as the price for it? Would love to have something like that just to have piece of mind type of thing. That's awesome that it covers the trans, engine etc.

Hoping to be a Wrangler owner soon, looking forward to it! :)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Yup, bought off the lot. She was about $10k less than the other 2008 and 2010's they had because of the mileage.

I went into the deal knowing exactly what I wanted and said as much. I wanted an extended powertrain warranty, payment below $Xxx and a four door jk. They of course tried to steer me to a $23k 2010 unlimited first, but I told them it was this one or no deal.

Ohh and I refinanced the deal at my credit union before I made the first payment, lol! They told me they tried financing through my CU, but they didn't... So I just took their deal across the street and said "if you can meet these terms, you can have the loan." Done..

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Just looked at the JK you posted... Looks identical to mine except for color. I'd use the warranty as s bargaining tool... Tell them to throw it in at the same price and you will sign today.. The price looks to be in the right range. I also got them to give me $250 off because my tires were in bad shape...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just looked at the JK you posted... Looks identical to mine except for color. I'd use the warranty as s bargaining tool... Tell them to throw it in at the same price and you will sign today.. The price looks to be in the right range. I also got them to give me $250 off because my tires were in bad shape...
Yup I love that it's 8-10 grand less because of the mileage. Fits right in what I can spend. Was a little bit worried about it before but you've reassured there isn't much to worry about with it. Especially if I can pick up that extended 250k mile warranty. So the price of the warranty was below a $1,000? If so I wouldn't mind doing that and like you said if I can get them to wrap that along with the selling price now that would be perfect with me. Deciding on whether financing thru my local banks/credit unions but will allow the dealership to finance me if they comply with everything I want from the financing. Plus this allows them to make more interest so their is a bargaining chip also.

Well with that said anything to look at for while inspecting the jeep as well as any dealer bargaining points you had to go through with the dealer? Just any tips/pointers.

Thanks for the quick replies escher it's much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I just looked over the contract...
It was $1600 and covers engine/trans/t-case + electrical (starter, alternator, computer, etc.)

Wear items like wheel bearings/ujoints aren't covered. Which makes sense. It's for 60 months/250k miles.

Than I also added classictrak (probably got taken there actually) which was about $5/month more and covered the glass and rims... They get you when you are already spending hundreds a month and $5 more seems like a bargain, lol!

Also - if you are financing - make sure to get GAP coverage.. Or else you could end up owing thousands if you total the vehicle... It's about $300 but it can save your butt..

It's all about how much risk you can personally assume... I don't have a lot in savings to cover big ticket items, so I get the insurance and warranty coverage. If you can save up a few grand, you could just skip the warranty or gap coverage and "self insure"...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just looked over the contract...
It was $1600 and covers engine/trans/t-case + electrical (starter, alternator, computer, etc.)

Wear items like wheel bearings/ujoints aren't covered. Which makes sense. It's for 60 months/250k miles.

Than I also added classictrak (probably got taken there actually) which was about $5/month more and covered the glass and rims... They get you when you are already spending hundreds a month and $5 more seems like a bargain, lol!

Also - if you are financing - make sure to get GAP coverage.. Or else you could end up owing thousands if you total the vehicle... It's about $300 but it can save your butt..

It's all about how much risk you can personally assume... I don't have a lot in savings to cover big ticket items, so I get the insurance and warranty coverage. If you can save up a few grand, you could just skip the warranty or gap coverage and "self insure"...

Best of luck!
Thanks for the quotes! Now I kind of know what ball range I can play while in talks for it. Rather pay now then regret it 2 years down the road type of deal. Also thanks for the financing tips. Kind of new to this type of stuff so anything helps. In the same boat as you with regarding savings. Just one last quick question I've been looking at some jeep modifications did the contract say you couldn't modify certain things on the jeep or contact them before doing it? Other then that thank you again! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
P.S forgot to ask. $13.5k for the final price w/ all warranties, sales tax etc? Also which dealership did you buy from? Will have to look there also and see if I find any deals if they have anything. Just shopping around right now.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
No worries!

As to the contract and modifications - ohh yeah, there is a lot of verbiage in there about that type of thing... Best thing would be to ask the dealer directly when you are doing the deal and be up front about the mods you plan on.

I changed out the entire sound system and was told that if I "somehow blew up the alternator" with my mods, they wouldn't honor that part of the warranty... Yup - Got it.. So, just know what you are doing and triple check before you commit.

As to the final price - nope - I had a complicated contract and I rolled in a lot of negative equity from my previous car... Note: Don't do that! Do as I say NOT as I DO!!! :)

The warranty and stuff was on top of my original price... so it was like this:
$13,500 - $250 (Tire credit) = $13250
+ Service Contract ($1600) + Classictrak ($595) + GAP coverage ($525) = $15970 + tax

For you - I'd say, skip the classictrak unless you need glass coverage, and your gap coverage will be lower as well (My credit union gap coverage is $300, and I'm going to get a refund for the dealership GAP since I'm not using it now).

You should come out around $18k-19K or so... ($16k + warranty and gap and tax)

I got mine from Hall Chrysler in Fenton - like a mile from my house - I've bought three cars form them so far. They are decent, can't complain.. they don't typically play games - and if you want I'll hook you up with my salesman... he may be able to get you a better deal. Just drop me a PM if you decide to head up this way.

- Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries!

As to the contract and modifications - ohh yeah, there is a lot of verbiage in there about that type of thing... Best thing would be to ask the dealer directly when you are doing the deal and be up front about the mods you plan on.

I changed out the entire sound system and was told that if I "somehow blew up the alternator" with my mods, they wouldn't honor that part of the warranty... Yup - Got it.. So, just know what you are doing and triple check before you commit.

As to the final price - nope - I had a complicated contract and I rolled in a lot of negative equity from my previous car... Note: Don't do that! Do as I say NOT as I DO!!! :)

The warranty and stuff was on top of my original price... so it was like this:
$13,500 - $250 (Tire credit) = $13250
+ Service Contract ($1600) + Classictrak ($595) + GAP coverage ($525) = $15970 + tax

For you - I'd say, skip the classictrak unless you need glass coverage, and your gap coverage will be lower as well (My credit union gap coverage is $300, and I'm going to get a refund for the dealership GAP since I'm not using it now).

You should come out around $18k-19K or so... ($16k + warranty and gap and tax)

I got mine from Hall Chrysler in Fenton - like a mile from my house - I've bought three cars form them so far. They are decent, can't complain.. they don't typically play games - and if you want I'll hook you up with my salesman... he may be able to get you a better deal. Just drop me a PM if you decide to head up this way.

- Chris
I'll have to read over the contract then and see what it says about modifications. Thank you for the price layout makes it much easier to see what the total came out to be and where I would be paying around 18-19. Plan using that warranty as bargaining chip to see if they will throw it in with the regular price. Didn't even think they would warranty that high of mileage car but that is awesome they obviously stand by their cars then. Might end up skipping out not he window/rim coverage.

Will for sure let you know if I head out that way if I see anything pop up. Looking forward to checking the jeep out next week and playing the "Can we make a deal game" lol.

Hope you have a great easter weekend and once again thank you so much for the information it has helped me greatly on exactly what I should aim for. Much appreciated! :)

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Id be real careful , that many miles on an engine thats notorious for using oil !
I'm not saying this one does, but be damned aware that a lot of em do ( including mine )
and that can cost you a bunch down the road.
Good luck ! "BH"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts