Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2008 JK’s AC has been cycling. Took it in for a recharge but still same issue. Have not noticed pooling of water, so don’t think system is freezing up. Based on looking at forums, seems most likely issues are overpressurized charge, a bad AC clutch/switch, or a faulty expansion valv Speed Test - TestMySpeed e. Is anyone aware of any frequent issues with the 2008 JK I should ask mechanic t https://19216811.cam/ https://19216811.cam/o check? Trying not to get taken for a ride, not well versed on AC issues.

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Please note there are separate forums for various Wrangler models. You are aware that you have a JK, but this is the TJ forum. Hopefully one of our mods will note this post and move it to the JK General fourm.

Auto air conditioning is a complex system. When I mentioned to a friend that I was going to take my TJ in for our common mechanic to look at the AC, he mentioned that the said mechanic hates to work or AC systems. However, he has another shop that specializes that he recommends.

If I were you, I would go that route. Take it to your trusted mechanic, and if he does not want to do it, find out who he recommends. you take it to. If you don't have a trusted mechanic, ask around among your friends that have had work done on their vehicle.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Odds are it’s a low charge but diagnosing is key. When you took it somewhere and had it recharged, did the AC work for a little while? i am curious if you have a large leak and refrigerant leaked out. Do you notice the ac compressor running?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Probably low charge with leak in the system. UV dye should be put in the system when it is filled to identify where the leak is coming from.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
My 2008 JK’s AC has been cycling. Took it in for a recharge but still same issue. Have not noticed pooling of water, so don’t think system is freezing up. Based on looking at forums, seems most likely issues are overpressurized charge, a bad AC clutch/switch, or a faulty expansion valve. Is anyone aware of any frequent issues with the 2008 JK I should ask mechanic to check? Trying not to get taken for a ride, not well versed on AC issues.
First of all, it is natural for the compressor to cycle and will do so in any mode other than heat or vent. Since you haven't said whether or not the AC is actually working or not there is no way to tell if it is cycling correctly. Turn on the AC with a thermometer in one of the vents and see what temp you're reading. It will likely be reading somewhere between 32 and 46 degrees depending on the ambient where you are if working correctly. If not you have an issue. No AC system runs the compressor constantly these days. When and how long it runs is determined by a number of things and it is controlled through a cycle switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts