Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought vehicle 3 weeks ago and thought all was good finally....until today. Stopped to get gas and suddenly found that we could not move it out of “Drive” at all. At first, we put it in Park but it kept moving, so I did a quick internet search and we were able to move the shifter loose..but it didn’t really move it out of gear. Stayed in D on dashboard. All we could do was keep going forward (thank goodness for the tight turning radius).

We just dropped it off at a mechanic and will have him hopefully look at it tomorrow. Couldn’t find any specific threads on this - is it a known issue? I googled and came up with something about a linkage bushing...?

...and we were just driving on interstate and locally — no off-roading yet.

Please help set my expectations — is this an expensive fix? I’m growing frustrated after just replacing the CC. It has ~78k miles.

If u have a moment, thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
its a 5 dollar grommet that connects your shifter linkage to transmission. I keep a spare in the glove box and have had to replac it in a parking lot. Their are four of them. Their is one on shifter linkage, 4 wheel shifter(in cab) and then transmission and transfer case. I found a seller on ebay which had them for few dollars, otherwise dealer will try to make you buy entire linkage for grommet.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Broken then fixed. Also just a note, that their are two different ones. One style for transmission and one for transfer case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, i812many. I will be getting some spares now for my glovebox too. Pics quite helpful too. Many thanks. Now fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts