Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone!

I drive a 2008 JK Rubicon, and last weekend I installed new shocks (potentially unrelated, but that's the last mod I did...). As of yesterday, as I first noticed it, there is this grinding/rattling sound emitting from the driver's side of the Jeep when I step on the gas.

- Does NOT do it while simply idling/parked (foot off the gas)
- Does do it while RPM are 1.5K+
- Does do it while parked/neutral and I rev it up to 1.5K+

I've been googling a bit (at work, so not as hard as I could be otherwise), and it sounds like some potential heat shielding issues? And/or cracked exhaust pipes? Unfortunately, I can't say that it sounds like marbles in a can. To me, it doesn't sound like that kind of noise.

- Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing before?
- What can I look for to verify the shielding or the pipes?
- Is this something that needs immediate technician attention, or is it something that can be done in the driveway on a weekend four days from now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fellow 2008 JK owner here, and all I can recommend is trying to get a video of the noise and possibly the location. I work with transmission systems for the government and troubleshooting over the phone/email is pretty difficult. Pictures and video are the best way to get a remote diagnosis. Hopefully somebody can help out!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
My heat shield on the exhaust pipe broke a spot weld and rattled as I increased RPMs. I used a hose clamp to tighten the heat shield and that solved my rattling. Assuming that is your problem it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insights! I have not had a chance to crawl underneath the Jeep yet to take a look; and I'll try to get something loaded to YouTube with the sound it's making.

Would anyone be able to supply images to their fixes? I'm not mechanically inclined by any stretch. In particular, the use of the hose clamp, and how that would compare to using something such as Thermosteel to patch the crack.

... Of course, that's if this is even the root issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts