Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a previous thread, just purchased an' 2008 JK Unlimited X-

Seems there are no TPMS installed so the obvious light comes on- the local discount tire wants 60/per sensor- that's a little crazy considering I can get new vette ones for about 35.. Would a 5-pack off amazon that are rated for the '08's (I am guessing they are the 315mhz ones) be good enough? If anyone happens to have bought them and had no issues I'd love to get a PN.

The person before me really fukked up the soft top on this thing, there are broken brackets around and the top doesnt seat too well above the doors. The back pieces also are terrible and come unzipped very easily. I was thinking about just purchasing a new soft top or possible hard top but would like to learn how it all works prior to making a purchase. Is there a site that explains all the brackets on top and what is necessary to make an educated purchase?

I've noticed the instrument cluster seems older/different than the ones I've seen videos of online- mainly trying to get rid of the oil change alert that pops up when I start. I've tried the ON position with the 3 full throttle pumps then starting, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Who knows, have to research that a bit more.

-TPMS
-Soft top/bracket/parts list of how it all works to educate myself
-instrument cluster? Is it because I have the base model
-Oil change reset?

Thank you to anyone who's bored enough to answer an amateurs questions.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You can use basically any JKU soft top, as long as you get all of the model year specific hardware to go with it. There have been multiple changes to tops (soft and hard tops) between 2007 and 2018, so you will want to make sure everything you'll need is included and correct for the top- the missing hardware can get expensive when purchased a la carte from a dealer.

Craigslist can net you an OEM top and hardware, used or NIB, for less than a brand new aftermarket top. You may find just the soft parts or a complete set, so if only going for the soft parts you'll want to identify which model year yours was sourced from, and make sure the replacement matches.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't think pre-2011's had EVIC as an option? (EVIC is the fancy computer display that you have probably seen pictures of online.) I'm guessing you probably have a 4-spoked steering wheel and either the basic instrument cluster or optional trip and compass/temperature computer that will also display MPG or Distance To Empty with the left-hand button, and trip counters via the right-hand button.

Either way, since you don't have EVIC, the internet says:

With the engine off, turn the ignition switch to “On” without starting the engine.
Within a 10 second interval, push the accelerator pedal all the way down slowly three times within 10 seconds.
Turn the ignition switch to the “LOC” position.

I know you said you tried 3 pumps, but you have to turn the ignition back off instead of starting it. If it still doesn't work, your Throttle Position Sensor might not be working right.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Seems there are no TPMS installed so the obvious light comes on- the local discount tire wants 60/per sensor- that's a little crazy considering I can get new vette ones for about 35.. Would a 5-pack off amazon that are rated for the '08's (I am guessing they are the 315mhz ones) be good enough? If anyone happens to have bought them and had no issues I'd love to get a PN.

I searched around, and ended up buying mine from tpms.com. Mostly, because they offered a sensor with an all black valve stem.

Let me add a story about when I went to get my new wheels, and new tires, mounted. I handed the guy my new TPMS sensors. The main manager, later, called me into the back to show me that all my new sensors were bad. He wasn't getting a reading from any of them on his portable meter.

I wasn't going to argue with him, nor try to teach him about sensors. I just told him, firmly, to use them anyway.

The issue here is that TPMS sensors go to "sleep" after a while, if they are not rotating. This is to conserve battery power. Being these were brand new sensors, I am sure that they haven't been rotated in a while; at least not since some kind of quality check at the factory. So, they weren't transmitting because they were all fast asleep, not because they were somehow defective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. So any soft/hard top will fit 2007-2018 JK's but the only thing is that the hardware needs to match the material for that top. Got it.

Is there somewhere, maybe a video that shows all the hardware to school myself up on the top system for JKU's?

For the Oil reset, will try to do later today.

TPMS- The site has a few different options, they all are pretty closely priced and would order a 5 pack.. does it really matter? https://www.tpms.com/2008_Jeep_Wrangler_Unlimited_Rubicon_Sahara_X_TPMS_s/7205.htm

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Awesome, am I reading that right, though..?

$72 bucks for a plastic piece? #14

I mean, soft tops come with all this hardware, or no? All that added up is 5 figures lol
Brand new complete soft tops may come with all of the required hardware, while replacement tops might only have the soft portions (read the descriptions thoroughly).

https://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-jk-soft-tops.html

^^ included for example

Used (or new in box) tops sold on forums, classifieds, craigslist etc. may be partially complete, or have everything you need- you have to do your homework. If a surround, bracket or other piece is MIA, it can quickly reduce the bargain factor if you have to source a few pieces from the dealer or online.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Awesome, am I reading that right, though..?

$72 bucks for a plastic piece? #14

I mean, soft tops come with all this hardware, or no? All that added up is 5 figures lol
Yeah... I just helped install a soft top on a JL and she drove into her garage with the sunrider folded back and bent two of the arms. Pass side price was around $180 and the drivers side was almost $500. If you buy used just make sure that everything is there. Any missing parts can make that "great" deal not so great...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts