Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new driver's side axle (mopar from dealer) because the old one I can't get a universal joint for from the dealer (something is wrong with the casting and I can confirm this because the universal that is supposed to go in there breaks while pressing in). The axles appear identical. Both have 30 splines and are the same diameter. I can't slide the new axle into the splines for some reason. Anybody got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The universal is a Spicer 5-7166X. I used one on my wife's passenger side last year and all went well. I busted two of them trying to press them into the existing yoke on my jeep on the driver's side. When I went to the dealer, they asked me for the casting number. When I told them the casting number they said that they couldn't sell me a universal joint for that axle, the axle needs to be replaced. So after blowing out two new universals, I relented and purchased a new axle. My best guess is that they know that there is a problem with that batch of axles that is why they wouldn't sell me the universal.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible that there is a bur on the spline end on the new axle? Maybe I should file the spline ends?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried rotating the pinion a quarter turn even turning it while trying to push the axle in and it won't go.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The axle is rounded at the end, you would think that would aid in putting it in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only time I couldn't slide a axle shaft into the carrier my housing was bent. Was the original axle hard to remove?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The original axle came out easy. The axle guide came to the outside where I could remove it. I put it onto the new axle past the seal surface....maybe I should have placed it towards the end further and let the insertion move it to its position.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think there may be some confusing info.. Base on your account details it says you have '08 sahara unlimited rubicon' if you have a rubi then the u joint is the proper one. If its not a rubi then you may in fact have the wrong joint/shaft

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First let me address the axle guide. Yes in fact there were two. I tried to fit the old axle back in and it wouldn't go. So I got a small flashlight out and looked down the tube. If it hadn't been dark out I don't know if I would have seen the second one. I thought at first that it was a seal. I used my long grabby tool and pulled it out of there and discovered that it was a second axle guide. Before I looked down the tube I did a close inspection of the axle splines and sure enough there was a ding on the end of the axle. Possibly during shipping. I used a fine file and made sure there were no burs on the spline. Once I got the second axle guide out, I put the old axle in and it went in easy. So I put the new axle in and it also went in easy.

Now to address the U-joint issue. I have two 2008 Rubicons. The Spicer U-Joint should fit. It didn't. When I called the dealer because I blew the second U-joint out it was a Friday and I was desperate to get another. He asked me for the yolk casting number. When I told him, he said that he couldn't sell me a U-joint for that casting and I would have to buy a new axle. This tells me that they had a bunch of axles with slightly off castings and did some special thing to get a U-joint into them so that they could move the line along and not have to redo 100,000 (or whatever number they had on hand). Now the customer is baring the cost of the new axles. This is my guess as to why they will not sell a U-joint for that casting. There is no doubt in my mind that the distance between the yolk ends is too short.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I usually measure the old Universal and compare the distances to the new one. This time I didn't because I assumed that I had the right one and it cost me $100.00 for two busted universals. I won't forget to verify the measurements the next time.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There has to be a reason that the dealer called that casting out. And wouldn't sell me a universal for it.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW, the guy at the dealer said that there was no such concern for the passenger side, only the driver's side. This is likely why I had no issue with the wife's Rubicon. I did her passenger side. I'm getting really good at replacing u-joints and axles.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just replaced both drivers and passengers ujoint a few weeks ago . I used the same ujoint you mentioned on both sides since i have 08 rubi as well. Thats very strange

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since yours went in without a hitch, I'm thinking that the casting number of yours was not the same as mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts