Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate for this to be my first post but I'm in a pickle. Purchased an 08 Rubicon 4 months ago. Heard a ticking noise (value type noise) and then followed by a knocking. Coming from the crank. Took it into the dealership where they diagnosed it as a blown motor. They informed me that this was a major issue with with the 08 Jeeps. In their words "They should have keep this motor for the minivans. The jeep has 88k miles on it and I would have hoped for the jeep brand that was middle aged if anything.

Looking into my steps from here. My family has owned jeeps for years. Really hoping to fix this bitter taste.

Let me know your thoughts.

Justin

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Sorry about the bad news. Jeeps are great vehicles (I never buy used but...) it may have been a variety of reasons. Depending on budget - drop a crate motor in it and you are alsmost good as New. IF the jeep shows no signs of abuse (transmission, transfer case, axles, etc.)
I assume this was a Private Sale?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Nope,

I purchased it from a AutoNation Chevrolet. Literally across the street from the dodge delaership.
Any warranty at all with it? Have you contacted them yet and asked, occassionally a Dealership will surprise you. Especially if their reputation matters to them, I'm not saying they did anything wrong. I'm saying their name is associated with the sale sometimes that "effects" the way they look at it.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Id look into getting a non-dealer type shop to put in a used motor. These motors are relatively common due to their popularity. Also, lots of Jeepers upgrade to a Hemi, and they gotta do something with their old motor..

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Crate motor or a used one, only thing about a "used" one.... You already had one of those and how'd that work out?
Certainly you Do Not want another 3.8 for lots of reasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been entertaining the idea of a motor swap but I don't want to get in over my head. like I said earlier I just purchased it 4 months back. Wasn't exactly planning on today.

Does anyone know of what the easiest, best, most economical swap would be and roughly what their budget was?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
3.8L oil consumption, lots of threads here and every where else for that matter...
Replacement engines are not cheap....5-7K $$$$$ plus labor.
you could buy a used one and install it and trade the vehicle off before it goes south too.
or you could re-build yours. This option has been beat to death on this forum, so it's your money, you decide whats best for your pocket book....
Sorry to hear this, I also bought a used 3.8L 07 JKU, yes it uses oil, ya gotta check the dip stick....often !! It's just about how much LOVE do ya have for the Jeep ?
"BH"

·
Registered
183 Posts
When my 3.8 was replaced on my 2009 they replaced only the short block. The receipt including labour was around 4700 Canadian. This did include labour but it was under warranty at the time so I'm not sure if the labour rates change when the consumer isn't paying.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I could be wrong, and it is probably impossible to draw any statistically valid conclusions from reading forums, but those 3.8s sure seem to blow up pretty often.

·
Registered
474 Posts
They was a company that bored and stroked the 3.8 and fixed all the little things. It was supposed to put out around what the pentastar dows. I can't remember the name, but if you search a bit you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hate for this to be my first post but I'm in a pickle. Purchased an 08 Rubicon 4 months ago. Heard a ticking noise (value type noise) and then followed by a knocking. Coming from the crank. Took it into the dealership where they diagnosed it as a blown motor. They informed me that this was a major issue with with the 08 Jeeps. In their words "They should have keep this motor for the minivans. The jeep has 88k miles on it and I would have hoped for the jeep brand that was middle aged if anything.

Looking into my steps from here. My family has owned jeeps for years. Really hoping to fix this bitter taste.

Let me know your thoughts.

Justin
make sure they do a compression test, mine did the same thing and it turned out to be a broken valve spring. replaced all of them for 800.00 and it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The 3.8L is a tried and true engine. There were over 800,000 JKs produced with this engine and very few with engine issues. Many but not all were attributed to abuse (water ingestion). I currently have 190,000klm on my 08 with 0 engine issues, runs like a champ. My Daughter has an 09 with 110,000klm no issues, my son had an 07 no issues...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts