Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Someone is selling his brand new front drive shaft off of a 2015 Unlimited automatic. I have a 2008 manual Unlimited. Are the two identical/interchangeable?
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Hello,
Someone is selling his brand new front drive shaft off of a 2015 Unlimited automatic. I have a 2008 manual Unlimited. Are the two identical/interchangeable?
Thank you.
It doesn't look like they are interchangeable if both differentials are D30. Different part #'s. If one is a D44 with an auto and the other a D30 with a manual it looks like it would fit. You would have to check the part #'s on both drive shafts and do a cross reference in order to be certain since you want to swap one oem "Mopar" front drive shaft with another. Maybe someone can chime in that actually knows 100% if the combination you mentioned can be swapped, but I don't think it can be. Maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't buy it without first checking the part #'s on both and doing a cross reference.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
It doesn't look like they are interchangeable if both differentials are D30. Different part #'s. If one is a D44 with an auto and the other a D30 with a manual it looks like it would fit. You would have to check the part #'s on both drive shafts and do a cross reference in order to be certain since you want to swap one oem "Mopar" front drive shaft with another. Maybe someone can chime in that actually knows 100% if the combination you mentioned can be swapped, but I don't think it can be. Maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't buy it without first checking the part #'s on both and doing a cross reference.
I have two spare rears and my stock driveshaft. All three from a manual jeep. All three part numbers are different.
D 30/44 doesn't matter .. Same mounting.
The only difference would be in length. 1" either way wont cause a problem.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have two spare rears and my stock driveshaft. All three from a manual jeep. All three part numbers are different.
D 30/44 doesn't matter .. Same mounting.
The only difference would be in length. 1" either way wont cause a problem.
Thanks. That clears it up. I thought there could be some wiggle room for size, but wasn't sure how much there could be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right - the part #s are different, I checked with a dealership parts department. But it sounds like the other posters believe that they would still work fine?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You are right - the part #s are different, I checked with a dealership parts department. But it sounds like the other posters believe that they would still work fine?
I trust Ken. If he says it will fit, it will. He did indicate that if there was approx. 1" in length either way it will fit.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I agree with Kjeeper. The main difference will be the length required for the 3.8 vs the 3.6. The driveshaft is inherently design to extend its length as the suspension droops so it has variable length. That feature will most likely allow it to run on either vehicle. The 3.6 driveshaft is also designed for more torque and possible slightly smaller diameter to provide clearance on the 3.6 exhaust crossover pipe.

I would be more concerned going in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Kjeeper. The main difference will be the length required for the 3.8 vs the 3.6. The driveshaft is inherently design to extend its length as the suspension droops so it has variable length. That feature will most likely allow it to run on either vehicle. The 3.6 driveshaft is also designed for more torque and possible slightly smaller diameter to provide clearance on the 3.6 exhaust crossover pipe.

I would be more concerned going in the opposite direction.
Thanks. But the connections on both ends are the same, correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts