Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and a new Jeep owner.
I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I have driven it for a week now with no AC issues until today.
All of the driving up until today has been under 70 MPH
Today I drove 75 MPH for 40 mins and the blower just stopped after 25 mins.
AC still kicks on if I turn the fan selector switch but i turned it off to not do any damage.
after cooling for 3 or 4 hrs i started the Jeep and the AC was back to normal.
I then drove the 40 mins back home at 75 MPH
AC worked great for 25 mins then the blower stopped again same issue,
So i turned it off.
I got home let the jeep cool for 45 mins and the AC works great again.

Is there something that could be overheating?
Maybe a Relay or Resistor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You All!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like your evaporator is icing up. My Saturn Vue likes to do this -- the engineers failed to include a defrost cycle, so it's just like an old-school freezer: water from the air will condense on the evaporator coils, freeze, and then more water condenses on top of the ice, freezes, etc until no air can move through a huge solid block of ice.

To check for icing, run the A/C for maybe 15-20 minutes and then turn the A/C off while keeping the fan on. If your evaporator is not iced up, the air from the vents will rapidly turn warm and you've got some other issue, dunno what. But if the air coming out stays cool even with the A/C switched off, then you know it's a big ol' ice block that's cooling the air.

Not sure if the Jeep has a defrost cycle and yours isn't working, or this is just something you have to live with. Basically I just keep an "eye" on the amount of air coming out the vents and when it slows down, I turn the A/C off for 5-10 minutes while the ice melts, then turn it back on when the air starts to get warm.

Cleaning the evaporator coils might help, but they're usually hard to get at under the dash and ducting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts