Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced ball joints upper and lowers replaced track bar replaced tie rods and drag link.Still getting whell shimmy when I go over bridge expansion joints on passenger side.Any info would be great.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It's a feature.

They do that new from the factory, it's the geometry of solid axle setup that causes the axle to shift left/right after going over a bump (and especially on a curved ramp).

This doesn't happen as much (if at all) on a vehicle with independant front suspension.

It's a little unnerving at first, and seems to be more pronounced in a JK vis-a-vis a full sized pickup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
08 unlimited x checked everything over again tonight.wheel bearings seem good everything torqued to spec,s.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Bump steer.

I bought 4 new JKUs - they all do it.

decent explanation with a pic.
Jeep Parts, Jeep Accessories & Jeep Soft Tops From The Jeep Parts Experts - Quadratec

Or a quick read:

If you have ever driven a lifted Jeep one thing you notice is the steering. If special care is not taken in the design the vehicle will dodge and dart whenever a bump or hole in the road is hit. This is because the drag link is either being pushed or pulled by the vertical suspension movement due to not being parallel with the trac-bar. This is commonly referred to as Bump Steer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you had an alignment? Mine was way bad and now it rolls like an arrow and smooth. Also you might want to swap out the stock bolts on the trackbar and lca.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts