Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another case it seems.

28K miles on the clock. All stock parts, as driven from the dealership and never off-roaded or abused.

I tried sea foam in oil and fuel for a couple of months, but no appreciable difference. 2 months and < 1K miles since last oil change.

The below were taken with the engined warmed up. From a cold start there is a sometimes a thrashing sound. The ticking starts quietly and grows in volume to what you hear in the videos. The ticking does seem to get faster as you speed up in the vehicle.

2009 JK 3.8L 28K Bottom - YouTube

2009 JK 3.8L 28K Top - YouTube

Any thoughts, other than a hemi swap, before we head to the dealership ?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
34,700 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Your video, and the audio are very good!

It sounds to me like the noise is in the valve train, and not the bottom end.
If you have a stethoscope, or even a old broom handle, you should be able to pin point it's location.

But yes, I would get it in and get it checked out, ASAP......:thumb:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't think it's a bearing knock. Valve train maybe. Stethoscope would narrow it down or maybe you can feel the sound. It's sounds like it's up top. Keep us posted. The brief clacking sound at start up is common and yes I don't care for it. I use a good quality oil filter and keep the oil right up to the full line at all times. 3.8's seem to be very sensitive to oil levels. Cold engines are worse for sure. I think its more tighter clearances when warm that keeps it quieter. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts