Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I'm hopefully about to become a Newbie Jeep Owner!! However, i am still on the fence about buying one. I have the chance to buy a 2009 Sahara 2 Dr automatic with 11k miles for $16k + trade in ( my current vehicle is a 2009 GMC Sierra with 130k miles)

As for my use well off-roading it would be Sand & Mud, with easy trails. Mainly more for Daily than Off-Road.

I can't for the life of me find definite information on the reliability of the 09 Sahara. So i can't figure out if it would be a good deal, So i've come to the experts to ask advice.

Thanks for Reading and Replying!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I guess it would depend on what you value your Sierra at. It is about half of what he probably paid for his Sahara new, and it has hardly any miles on it.
I have an 09' and have had no problems at all with it. I don't abuse it, and have enjoyed the heck out of it. My previous vehicle was a Sierra and it was a good truck, but it ain't no Jeep! I think the 09' was a good " stable" year for Wranglers. They had worked through a lot of the electronic gremlins of the earlier modlels.
Personally I'm in no hurry to upgrade to a new model either, as there still may be some "bugs" to work through yet.
If you do decide to get it, I'm confident you will enjoy it. So it just boils down to wether or not it's the right deal for you.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What's the asking price on the jeep $16k or $16k+ trade? At $16k it sounds like a decent deal, what are they giving you for your truck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The KBB value on the jeep is 23k, my truck is valued at 5k. I'm buying it from my father for 16k after giving him the truck.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The KBB value on the jeep is 23k, my truck is valued at 5k. I'm buying it from my father for 16k after giving him the truck.
how is your truck only valued 5k? it's a 2009? you mean a '99?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2009 sierra work truck 2 Dr short bed with 130k miles. Its in fair quality. It's a basic no frills work truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Jeep has 11,126 miles. I am using the KBB and NADA values. I am not sure on how reliable they are, so thats why i am here on wrangler forums with the pro's!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You can get a new 2013 2dr for ~ 23K+tax and it's going to have the new motor/air/auto warranty (Not a Sahara) but that's the route I would take. I'm sure the '09 is nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's your father for crying out loud... Did he own it himself or is he a dealer? I personally don't think that's a bad price. You have alot of miles on the pu. With 11k it's still new :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is in excellent condition btw
First, I think it is a fair value based off of the fact the you know the previous owner and can vouch for the care of the vehicle. That is something that many people cannot do when getting into a used vehicle. Second, will you and your father both be happy will the deal because that is what really matters. Are you throwing money out the window? No. So really the only question left ie: Will you be happy with the deal? If you can say yes to that then nothing anyone says really matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If i go brand new my total finance is about $20k, if i go with the 2009 i'll finance $16k. The first year alone i would probably drive over 36k miles so a 3 year warranty would really only last one year.

He owns it himself, all 11k are pretty much road miles... unless i pick it up :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
First, I think it is a fair value based off of the fact the you know the previous owner and can vouch for the care of the vehicle. That is something that many people cannot do when getting into a used vehicle. Second, will you and your father both be happy will the deal because that is what really matters. Are you throwing money out the window? No. So really the only question left ie: Will you be happy with the deal? If you can say yes to that then nothing anyone says really matters.
He posted for advice so that's what he's getting. If it were me I would buy a brand new Sport S for the same money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think i'll be happy with it, but as much as i pretend to know.. It'sstill always good to get advice from People who live the car style i want!

·
Registered
157 Posts
tough call, and only you can decided it...I would go for a 2012 JK and haggle down as much as you can....a 2 door Sport soft top 6 spd around 23K! (probably even less!) ...after selling your truck on craigslist might only cost you 7K to finance .... thats about $140 a month in a car-payment........new 3.6L engine, warranty, and a much, much better interior....just my 2 cents....its yours and you have to drive it everyday might as well get what you want

...I just bought my 2012 JKU Sport S, got it for $29,095 out the door..after what I put down I only had to finance $12,000 ...turns out to be a $210 car payment

....edit...just saw your post about the 30,000+ a year in mileage...yikes! I like a jeep but that is a lot of miles of commuting...think you need a Jeep AND a motorcyle!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts