Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the market for a Wrangler. I live in RI but found a 2009 Wrangler Sahara 2 door with 45000 miles and a lot of extras... however it has a rebuilt title. The dealer states that it was in a collision and is categorized as a Class A Repairable Collision and after the safety inspection it will receive a Rebuilt Title. The dealer claims the vehicle only needed repairs to the fender, hood, grill, and bumper - all sheet metal work. His repair shop on site did all the work. I cannot figure how the vehicle was given a salvage title for just sheet metal damage but the dealer claims it is different in CT because it's classified Class A. It was an "insurance recovery" purchase for the dealer. He also claims that the vehicle will regain 100% of it's value after the state safety inspection. He's asking $16995.

I'm new to the Jeep world and unfamiliar with CT state titles and classifications. Does this sound legitimate to anyone??

Please help!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
It certainly won't regain is value. See if he has pics. The biggest problem you will have is selling it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Any vehicle that has been in a collision, unless it's a classic or antique vehicle, does not regain 100% of it's value. That's the sales scam talking from the dealer. I would move on to another JK.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Maybe worth 12k.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This was in NC so may not apply wherever you are. My old TJ was a salvage title, according to the dealer, it had been in a rear end collision. It had been repaired but was enough damage to be considered "salvage". Took it to a frame repair shop and had it checked out and they said there was nothing wrong with the frame, so I jumped on it. This was in 2005 and it was a 2004 Sahara with less than 12,000 mi and they were only asking 10,995.

Had ZERO problems with it up until I sold it, and then I found out from potential buyers that banks would only finance 50% of value for purchase. Not my issue as I was selling, but just something I found out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought a 2015 JKU sahara in KY. It was hit in the front and air bags deployed. The repair shop did an excellent job of putting it back together and getting everything straight but it did get a salvage title. I pulled the build sheet from the VIN on the jeep site, said the msrp was 41 to 42000. can't remember exactly slept since then... but the bank where I financed it would go up to 28300. on it. I've had no complaints at all with the ride or the way it handles.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Why even fool with something like this? It'll have continual problems and have no resale value. There are plenty of other deals to be had without this kind of stuff. And to the OP- that dealer is full of it. He's just trying to make a buck himself.

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
And that is no where near regaining its value.... Not sure what you paid and its none of my business.
Glad you're happy with it.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
It does not have a rebuilt title but may get one if it passes inspection, based on just a 2 minute Google of Connecticut title law. Also, it has a salvage title, so it must have been determined to have been a total loss.

I'd run, not walk away, and yes the dealer on this one is full of it if he says it will regain 100% of its value. Now, if it passes inspection, including one from your mechanic looking for things you really want to look for and you want it and get it for what it is really worth, go for it, just have your eyes open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's the thing, it's a jeep. I've seen them smashed up against rocks, laying on their sides or completely rolled over! not to forget those pesky trees and deer. They then take it to a friend or a friend of a friend replace the bent up parts, straighten, tweek, (probably why the repair shop here is so good at what they do) and put it back on the trail and have fun. If you want to resale it down the road your aware that you'll take a hit. Enjoy it while you have it.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Here's the thing, it's a jeep. I've seen them smashed up against rocks, laying on their sides or completely rolled over! not to forget those pesky trees and deer. They then take it to a friend or a friend of a friend replace the bent up parts, straighten, tweek, (probably why the repair shop here is so good at what they do) and put it back on the trail and have fun. If you want to resale it down the road your aware that you'll take a hit. Enjoy it while you have it.
This is terrible advice. A friend, or a friend of a friend to replace bent up parts? Good god, no wonder you were fine with buying a Salvaged title. This is a 2009 with a rebuilt title for $17,000! That's a terrible price.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
A rebuilt or salvage title means that once you buy it, you are going to have a difficult time insuring it and unloading it when you want out of it.

Flood damaged, fire damaged, recovered stolen autos from chop shops, totalled vehicles, "homebuilt" vehicles, etc. all get these titles and this vehicle is going to be shunned the rest of its days.

$16,000? Someone wants about 75% too much money.

Run away!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I'm just curious as to the area you're wheeling where you all are flipping JK's like pancakes, or flap jacks, depending on what part of the country. :D

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Many reputable dealers don't even like salvage title trade-ins, for fear they'll be viewed in that type of biz. I think some states even have a law against dealers selling cars with salvage titles, but I'm not 100% on that.

Also, it is common that banks won't loan money for a salvage title vehicle and most insurance companies won't insure or liability insurance only.

All this said, the asking price is way too high, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for the input. In the end, I decided NOT to buy the Jeep in question. Although it seems there could decent arguments made for whether or not a Jeep with a rebuilt title is worth purchasing, since I am not a mechanic and this would have been my first Wrangler I decided this was too above my pay-grade to even attempt to buy. In the end, the major deciding factor came down to price and the dealer wanting too much money for a rebuilt.

I thank everyone for their input; I truly appreciate it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow didn't realize I was going to draw the ire of the jeep community. I did go back and check and my title is a rebuit and not a salvage. I live in KY and have relatives that live back in the " hills" where most of what I described happen. Just a bunch of guys that get out on weekends or so and say " I betcha I get get it up there or hey you all watch this," which usually doesn't end well for the jeep. But they do have a great time together which is what I feel its all about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts