Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was on the Florida Turnpike en route to work this morning, I pushed down hard on the accelerator to merge into traffic and the accelerator pedal snapped off two inches above the pad at the first bend. I was suddenly in a bad fix and managed to get onto the shoulder. On closer inspection, the whole pedal is made of hollow plastic! I couldn't believe it. I am now trying to find a replacement that isn't as poorly designed as the factory original. I don't want another hollow plastic pedal that might kill me under different circumstances. I am attaching an image.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
First time I heard of that happening. Maybe this is made a bit better:
Omix-Ada Accelerator Pedal
For 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
Quadratec Part No: 55003.0012
Manufacturer Part No: 17733.04

$109.99

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Wow that is more then frightening.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That's ridiculous..... They might have saved $5 on that pedal but when it snaps it costs how much to get it towed....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
That's scary, glad your okay. Do you think you were using a little too much force or at a bad angle? That's really frightening

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Its not chrysler. Many manufacturers use plastic for the accelerator. By federal law, the brake pedal must be steel (so that you never have no brakes.) Some will tell you that this is a safety feature, but it's probably just cost cutting. Many companies do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts