Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought a 2010 jeep wrangler two days ago. we were driving around tonight and the "malfunction indicator light" came on, the code came back as P 0740. Any information would be wonderful.

·
Registered
543 Posts
openx said:
Hello, I just bought a 2010 jeep wrangler two days ago. we were driving around tonight and the "malfunction indicator light" came on, the code came back as P 0740. Any information would be wonderful.
That code is a "torque converter clutch circuit malfunction".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to take it back to the dealership in the morning. Two days and then a failure does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling!

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
It's safe to drive it. It's actually a part of the emissions system indirectly and will cause your MPG's to drop. I can't speak for the Jeep transmission, but in a Buick it pretty much means an entirely new trans.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
a new transmission at 48 hours is wonderful!

better than 3 days ride down the trail somewhere lonesome!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be if it were not my wife's brand new toy, she is not happy; therefore I can not be happy. LOL

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Take it back and have them fix it (I’m sure it’s still under warrantee, right?). P0740 means there is a problem with either the torque converter or the control system for the torque converter. To fix it, it can be anything from a simple fluid and filter change, an electrical problem, or it could be the torque converter itself has failed (potentially taking out your transmission).

·
Registered
65 Posts
P:banghead:W She/You will be Happy when it's all fixed n ready for the Trail/Mud P:banghead:W

1 - 13 of 13 Posts