Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I tried the search function first. Searched for "oil leak". The forum won't search for the word "oil" because it's too short. What's up with that?

Any way, I have an oil leak at the bell housing on my 2010 JK Unlimited automatic. Here's a picture:

How common is this? I assume that it's a bad rear main seal and will have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:eek: WOW, thats pretty rare with this 3.8L v6 and it's definately a DEALER item-

OK, I tried the search function first. Searched for "oil leak". The forum won't search for the word "oil" because it's too short. What's up with that?

Any way, I have an oil leak at the bell housing on my 2010 JK Unlimited automatic. Here's a picture:

How common is this? I assume that it's a bad rear main seal and will have the dealer look at it.
Sorry, that can be a major warranty fix, I'm not sure about the reddish tinge toit, (torque converter), but I doubtit-

Good luck

--JIMBO

·
Registered
500 Posts
Every vehicle I have ever owned has leaked at the rear main.

Is it dripping on the ground or just forming a little drop on the housing like in your picture?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's dripping on the ground. About 2 spots per day on a fresh piece of cardboard.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My 10 Rubi is totally dry underneath, no leaks. My 89 YJ 4.2 only leaks about 2 drops every 2 weeks, not every day. Take it back to the dealer.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Because it's too small and too common of a word that would return way too many results. The search feature is something that has to be mastered over time. :D

But don't be afraid to start a new thread if you can't find what you are looking for. :wavey:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Klenger said:
It's dripping on the ground. About 2 spots per day on a fresh piece of cardboard.
Yea..that's bad.

Dealer time.

·
Banned
11,188 Posts

jeeps don't leak, they just mark there territory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I finally got it fixed, or at least the dealer said it's fixed. We'll see over the next few days. First they tried to reseal the oil pan, but that didn't fix it. The leak was on the front of the engine. They order the front timing cover and replaced it today and declared it fixed. All totalled, they spent about 4 days working on it. I appreciate their persistence.

P1010746 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
2010 Oil Leak

There is a recall out for JK's calling for the Timing cover gasket to be replaced. I had the same problem with mine and had to take it back twice before they would take the time to look up possible recalls as they couldn't seem to tell me where it was coming from. Mechanics sure aren't what they used to be.....

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Fyi, you can enter your VIN on Jeep's owners website and see whether there are any outstanding recalls on your Jeep. I do it every few weeks.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
There is a recall out for JK's calling for the Timing cover gasket to be replaced. I had the same problem with mine and had to take it back twice before they would take the time to look up possible recalls as they couldn't seem to tell me where it was coming from. Mechanics sure aren't what they used to be.....
Are you sure? Never heard of that before.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
:thumb: Much different than a recall.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
:thumb: Much different than a recall.
That's for sure! I keep thinking I should get a subscription to the TSBs to see what’s breaking in my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So what's the big difference between a recall and a Technical Service Bulletin ? They both indicate a problem, but if Chrysler decides it's only a TSB the owner gets shafted with a bill...

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
So what's the big difference between a recall and a Technical Service Bulletin ? They both indicate a problem, but if Chrysler decides it's only a TSB the owner gets shafted with a bill...
There's no bill for a TSB under warranty, outside yes. TSB's are for issues that are recognized but not necessarily on a wide array of vehicles nor a safety issue. If it's a safety issue it would be a recall.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Like Dag says, the Technical Service Bulliten (TSB) is a published Tech manual supplement that corrects KNOWN product failures, but aren't perconnel safety concerned and if you're have a JK/JKU electrical/mechanical problem that already has a TSB issued--BINGO-you can get it fixed for free (warranty), but

If you have a problem thats not covered by TSB/RECALL-then you'll have to fixit yourself or talk your dealer into doing it under warranty and sometimes thats tough-or

If you see a TSB and you don't HAVE that problem--you ain't gonna get it worked on !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts