Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeep has had an occasional starting issue. It has sounded for a while like the starter was going bad. Hit the key, would hear the initial sound of the starter engaging, but then nothing. Try it two or three times and it would start.
Again, this wasn't every time, just off and on, maybe a couple times a week. Didn't matter whether it was hot or cold.
So finally this week it would not start. Didn't even sound like it was engaging at all. I replaced the starter and while I was at it, cleaned the battery terminals and put a new battery in since it was 5 years old. Got in and it fired right up like it is supposed to. Yay!
Drove it to work the next day and when leaving work, the issue had reappeared. I can hear the "chunk" sound of the starter engaging, but not turning over until trying it a couple times. I did get it started and have not had any issues the last couple of days.
Is my brand new starter bad or is there something else causing this issue that I have overlooked?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
What is the status of the battery? Old old is the battery? I'd put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is with car off and while you are attempting to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the status of the battery? Old old is the battery? I'd put a volt meter on the battery and see what the voltage is with car off and while you are attempting to start.
As detailed in my question above, I installed a new battery when replacing the starter.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
As detailed in my question above, I installed a new battery when replacing the starter.
Sorry, must have skimmed through that part.

Sounds like there is control of the starter which is good. What I mean by this is when you turn the key, it doesn't actually directly feed power to the starter solenoid. It tells the WCM and TIPM to power the starter solenoid. That appears be working.

My first test would be to do a voltage drop test on the power at the starter motor positive post to battery positive post. Then I'd also do one for starter case to battery negative post. See if you are loosing voltage along the way. Sometimes cleaning terminals isn't enough. Could be a bad cable or ground connection. I won't go through the description of a voltage drop test as google and youtube will answer that.

Couple of other thoughts, yes it could be a bad start. Can chance you can see the flexplate teeth? Any chance they are messed up in a spot or two and it's causing issues when the start teeth hit that area?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, must have skimmed through that part.

Sounds like there is control of the starter which is good. What I mean by this is when you turn the key, it doesn't actually directly feed power to the starter solenoid. It tells the WCM and TIPM to power the starter solenoid. That appears be working.

My first test would be to do a voltage drop test on the power at the starter motor positive post to battery positive post. Then I'd also do one for starter case to battery negative post. See if you are loosing voltage along the way. Sometimes cleaning terminals isn't enough. Could be a bad cable or ground connection. I won't go through the description of a voltage drop test as google and youtube will answer that.

Couple of other thoughts, yes it could be a bad start. Can chance you can see the flexplate teeth? Any chance they are messed up in a spot or two and it's causing issues when the start teeth hit that area?
I doubt there is an issue with the flex plate. It's an on-road, non-modified vehicle with under 70k miles. Although I didn't spin the whole plate around, I could see the part of the plate where the starter was "stuck" and there was no damage.
I am going to check all the ground connections to the metal components and see if something is loose or corroded. No road salt used in my area, but will nonetheless trace those just to check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts