Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just brought my new to me 2010 JK home after waiting a couple weeks for the dealer to install a new clutch and put new wheels and tires on it. I noticed that it ticks very noticeably at all times and all speeds, increasing with speed. I've read for the last few hours about possible issues, and some say it's normal and some say it could be numerous things. It has 41,000 miles and did not come with a factory warranty, but does have a 30 day dealer warranty. Is this something I should be concerned about having it looked at? I'm pretty sure they will just tell me it's normal, as I got it from a Kia dealer and they most likely will not want to take it somewhere to get looked at.

·
Registered
269 Posts
get it looked at asap! 30 days goes by quick. rev it and post a video. rod knocks are easy to hear, especially at higher rpm

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,303 Posts
Your ticking maybe a exhaust leak, or something more serious.

I would take it into a Jeep Dealer, and just have them listen to it for a opinion.

Then you will have something tangible to tell the KIA Dealer, when you take it back for warranty!!!

Did you check your oil level???

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant get my video to upload to photobucket. If someone knows how to post a video, let me know or pm me with your info and I can send it to you.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ticking is defin not normal. I'd take that sucker back in a minute. I actually wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

But to diagnose the problem I need some more information.

1: how loud is it?
2: where does it sound like it's coming from?
3: does it go away after the vehicle heats up?
4: auto or manual?
5: if it's a manual, does it go away if you push the clutch?
6: does it get louder as the engine speeds up? Or is it always the same volume?

If it seems to be coming from the engine, doesn't get louder with acceleration, ticking gets faster with the engine speed. Then it's probably the lifters or your oil is low.

If the ticking is the same volume, is worse when it's cold and gets better or goes away when the engine heats up, it's probably a simple exhaust leak.

If the ticking is extremely loud and gets unbearable the faster the engine revs, then it's probably a (or more than one) rod.

If the ticking sounds like it's coming from a wheel and turning the steering wheel exacerbates or relieves it, it's likely a wheel bearing.

ALL of these situations are going to get worse, and cost you money to fix in the long run. Take it back to the dealer before you have to dig it out of your own pocket.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its loud enough to hear at idle from 20 feet away. I didnt notice the tick when I purchased it two weeks ago.

Coming from left side of the engine.

Doesnt go away after heating up.

Manual

Your first description is spot on. Doesnt get louder with rpms, coming from engine, and ticks faster as it revs.

They just did an oil change at the dealer(or so they said) I'll definitely check the oil level in the morning. Im not familiar with lifters. Is that a serious issue?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There have been some problems with 3.8 driver's side exhaust manifolds that have cracked and/or leaking. You would hear a loud ticking. I would take it in.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If it wasn't doing it then, and it's coming from the left side of the engine, I bet the oil level is low.

But manifold leaks sound pretty darn similar to low oil ticking.

But if it is the lifters, I have never changed them on your particular engine, and every one is different, but the ones I have done have been real easy.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'd take that in dude.

It sounds like an exhaust leak, but hard to tell. It could be the valve lifters.

It doesn't sound deadly like a rod or anything.

Regardless I'd take it in. They need to fix it.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im taking it in Monday. I need it to drive to work tomorrow, so hopefully it's not serious like an exhaust leak, and I dont damage anything further.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I stppped by two seperate Jeep dealers this morning before I take it back to the dealer I bought it from so I'm more informed. The first service department looked at it, and told me it was totally normal, and that it sounded like the fuel injectors. The second dealer told me it was most likely a small exhaust leak and probably just needed new bolts and I'm assuming a new gasket.

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
It sounded like injectors but I'm on an old PC. I would look into the exhaust leak. You have a warranty bring it in to the dealer you bought it from. Just be sure the oil level is full.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So, I stppped by two seperate Jeep dealers this morning before I take it back to the dealer I bought it from so I'm more informed. The first service department looked at it, and told me it was totally normal, and that it sounded like the fuel injectors. The second dealer told me it was most likely a small exhaust leak and probably just needed new bolts and I'm assuming a new gasket.

Opinions?
Dealer 1 is a moron. Don't go back there

Dealer 2 is probably correct.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I'm definitely taking it back to the dealer. I just have no experience with these engines, so I didnt want to take it back without a good idea of what it could be so they could tell me that is was normal. Now I have something to tell them.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
FYI. A 2010 has a 5yr/100k mile power train warranty that transfers with the vehicle. So you should have factory warranty left.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts