Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright , so don't laugh when you read this I know I didn't think this through lol . So I bought a 2010 jk wrangler. Well it had the half doors on it. Which I Loved at 1st but then it was a pain in the butt for me. So I found someone to trade their doors off their 2010 rubicon which was the full doors. Well after getting too excited and drove about 2 hrs to get the doors, both the trader and I didn't think about that he has power locks and windows. His has 8 prongs and mine has only 2 which I know has nothing to do with the windows.... I ASSumed lol that there was a way to make it work since jeeps are kinda like frankenstein anyways lol. WELLLLLL I called a jeep dealership and the pretty much laughed at me saying I was outta luck for getting the power windows to work since mine wasn't equipped with what was needed....He said if it was an older jeep it would be easier... Is this true? I know I didn't think this through laugh at me if u feel like it but I can only use "I just got them tinted " for so long LOL. Any ideas would be great just don't tear me apart for my dumb a** idea :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the door harnesses are part of a main harness you are SOL, it can be done but it will cost. If its its own harness then it may be easier, you will need the wiring harness, switches/bezels and labor which will still cost quite a bit. Always a junkyards/wrecked jeeps for parts but thats not an easy way to go unless you do it yourself. Its also possible that most of the wiring is already there and you just need the switches. the main thing you need is someone that knows what they are doing to take a look at it.

You can always add an aftermarket switch setup to the dash, its only takes two wires to make the power windows work usually and a good stereo/alarm shop could rig something up. Most likely those doors have power mirrors as well and thats what the rest of the wires are for.

If it were me I'd try to sell those doors and buy a set of full doors with manual windows if you already made the trade. If you havent traded I'm sure you can find someone with manual window doors that wants to trade for your 1/2 doors.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Like KP mentioned you can go aftermarket.:
Electric Life
We used their harness to add power to my powerless doors- but we did the install ourselves and its not easy. I don't see why you couldn't replace (all) the existing wiring- but If you have to pay for the install it might not be worth the cost. We bought/used the factory power switches so mine looks stock- no Frankenstein. Just Elvira. (The Jeeps name. LOL).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like KP mentioned you can go aftermarket.:
Electric Life
We used their harness to add power to my powerless doors- but we did the install ourselves and its not easy. I don't see why you couldn't replace (all) the existing wiring- but If you have to pay for the install it might not be worth the cost. We bought/used the factory power switches so mine looks stock- no Frankenstein. Just Elvira. (The Jeeps name. LOL).
So I've been looking into this myself and also came across electric life on quadratec. Did you install power windows and locks? Also, where did you find power switches for the center dash?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Call Electric Life direct- they'll probably give you a better price. (Though we're local so maybe that's why we got a better price.)
We only installed power windows- all I wanted. Locks aren't helpful on a topless Jeep. We ordered the center switches from Mopar Online Parts- pretty sure. If you can't find it let me know and I'll track it down. Been over a year now.
Jeep Jeep Wrangler JK Mopar Accessories and Repair Parts: MoparOnlineParts.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts