Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep has 25K miles on it, but as I bought it used, warranty is gone. So, I am looking at shocks, and also have a leveling kit in mind, just not right now. So my question is, will this affect which shocks I buy? I don't really rock crawl, but I do a fair amount of Jeepin' over rough and rocky terrain. Shop wanted $ 260 for 2 Sensa Trac shocks installed, seems a bit high to me, and I think given my weekend driving conditions, I want a little more aggressive shock.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you want to stick with Monroe I would get the "Reflex". They are firmer and designed for SUV's/trucks. Other good shock choices are Rancho and Bilstein.

If you are just leveling your Jeep the shock size you buy will be the same as OEM I believe. Install them yourself. It is not hard and you will save some money.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
You can find Rubicon take off shocks on Craigslist for very little $$. I paid $50 for a full set of brand new Rubi shocks which are made by Bilstein for Jeep.

The install is pretty easy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on installing them myself, only thing I haven't done before is any kind of lift or leveling. Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I plan on installing them myself, only thing I haven't done before is any kind of lift or leveling. Thanks for the replies.
I put in the Teraflex 1" pucks in the front only to get level. They are less than $20 bucks each and require no other modifications to install. And no better time to put them in than when you have the front apart to do the shocks.

·
Vendor
2,910 Posts
Jeep has 25K miles on it, but as I bought it used, warranty is gone. So, I am looking at shocks, and also have a leveling kit in mind, just not right now. So my question is, will this affect which shocks I buy? I don't really rock crawl, but I do a fair amount of Jeepin' over rough and rocky terrain. Shop wanted $ 260 for 2 Sensa Trac shocks installed, seems a bit high to me, and I think given my weekend driving conditions, I want a little more aggressive shock.
Check out our 2" SPORT system.
And save some money.
But if you want to do a "level" down the road most shocks were for 0-2". There are always some exceptions though.

Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION

You can find Rubicon take off shocks on Craigslist for very little $$. I paid $50 for a full set of brand new Rubi shocks which are made by Bilstein for Jeep.

The install is pretty easy.
Nope. ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have the Rancho 9000's and love them. Easy to adjust and way better than my stock Sport shocks. I did the Teraflex 2" leveling kit for $150 and installed it myself in 3 hours. Looks alot better and the shocks made a ton of difference. I don't rock crawl either, just lots of desert and mountain roads.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Went back to where I thought I had pulled that data from and can't reproduce it... So, I know you would be much more informed than I.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do want to level, and I am pretty sure I will be sticking with stock wheels and tires, it is my DD. Fairly certain I will get the Rancho 9000 shocks, just not sure about swapping springs, although my bumper and winch has increased the sag a bit. I really appreciate all of the inputs!

Dave

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything other than the kit needed? I will be running the stock Rubi wheels and tires. Had to make sure I had the right part number for a 2dr, Amazon lists the 4dr part number against the 2dr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts