Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Va and back from Mi and burned 2 quarts of oil. Is this normal? I only have 66k on it. I searched the old post and didn't find anything posted recently

·
Registered
664 Posts
Seems a little high but I've never had a 3.8, might want to do a leak down test and see if that shows anything. Are you sure it's burning it and not leaking somewhere ?

There are quite a few excessive oil consumption threads here as well.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The 3.8 is a known oil-burner, that seems to be on par with some others that have complained about oil consumption. You could try running 5w30 instead of 5w20 and see if that helps.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
34,851 Posts
The 3.8 is a known oil-burner, that seems to be on par with some others that have complained about oil consumption. You could try running 5w30 instead of 5w20 and see if that helps.

^^^X2, Also trying changing your PCV valve. This combo may not stop the oil usage, but it should slow it down......:thumb:

Always check you oil level weekly, or at gas fill ups!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
[/B]
^^^X2, Also trying changing your PCV valve. This combo may not stop the oil usage, but it should slow it down......:thumb:

Always check you oil level weekly, or at gas fill ups!!!!!!!!
This. Some 3.8's use more oil than they should, not all. However, if you think you're using more than 1 qt. every 1,000 miles your JK still might qualify for a dealer to perform a "consumption" test. How many miles did you put on going through 2 qts. My 10 3.8 doesn't have any noticeable oil consumption. All modern engines in particular use some oil. Unfortunately, Chrysler goes by this standard: NORMAL OIL CONSUMPTION: Below are industry standards for normal engine oil consumption: Mileage below 50,000: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 1,000 miles driven. Mileage above 50,000: Normal oil consumption is one quart for each 750 miles driven.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Close to first oil change in my new (to me) 09 Rubi and I have had to put 2 quarts in since the last change was done before I bought it. Will switch up to 5w/30

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put 1600 miles on it round trip. I put in oil before we left because it needed it and couldn't get a appointment at 2 dealers in my area before we left. I checked it after filling up in PA. It was just in the zone. Drove 350mi. I didn't add. We got to around the DC area another 300mi and it needed a qt. Way back it need oil in mid Ohio. Just checked it this morning and its just in the safe. So it needs oil every 600-800 or so mi.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ditto to 3.8's using oil, common concern. A couple things have helped mitigate the condition, primarily swapping out the PCV valve ( located atop the driver side rocker cover ) and switching to a higher viscosity oil. The 3.8 should never have been spec'd for 5w-20 oil by Chrysler. Absolutely nothing was done internally to make the engine compatible with such lightweight lubricants. It was done so for certification reasons only, and even there it wasn't necessary. It was designed over 25 years ago for 10w-30, and it should be noted that all Mopar re manufactured 3.8s specify 10w-30. Some time ago a dealer service manager advised switching to 10w-30 on JK 3.8s as early in the life of the engine as possible. I run it in my '09 and have minimal to no oil consumption. Give it a try.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ditto to 3.8's using oil, common concern. A couple things have helped mitigate the condition, primarily swapping out the PCV valve ( located atop the driver side rocker cover ) and switching to a higher viscosity oil. The 3.8 should never have been spec'd for 5w-20 oil by Chrysler. Absolutely nothing was done internally to make the engine compatible with such lightweight lubricants. It was done so for certification reasons only, and even there it wasn't necessary. It was designed over 25 years ago for 10w-30, and it should be noted that all Mopar re manufactured 3.8s specify 10w-30. Some time ago a dealer service manager advised switching to 10w-30 on JK 3.8s as early in the life of the engine as possible. I run it in my '09 and have minimal to no oil consumption. Give it a try.
I will switch oil type's. Is the PVC easy to replace? What's a new one cost?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Friends 3.8 JKU started doing that as soon as he went to synthetic. Told him to go back to regular oil, haven't heard back.

·
Registered
825 Posts
There have been a couple reports that suggested going to regular oil rather than synthetic reduced consumption.

Wanted to mention we've not seen any leak down test results posted on high consumption 3.8s. Anyone done one?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I changed the pcv and run 10-30. It helped but still uses lots of oil. Carrying oil in the back, and checking it every week or two has become a part of my life now lol 😁

The pcv is super easy. Look up a video on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's a known fact the 3.8L engines have piston ring issues. A lot of these were assembled
with the ring end gaps improperly spaced. Several here have had the oil consumption tests done and the repair was "New Piston Rings"...
My engine uses oil.... I quit using the awful 5W-20 oil and went to 10W-30 and I use the
high milage type oil. It seems to reduce the consumption to a level that I can drive without having to check my oil every time I stop for a pee break !
10w-30 works well here but if you live in a COLD climate you may want to switch to a
5W-30 in the winter or what ever "normal" engines use there .
Try to experiment with oil brands and weights until you find an oil that your engine
uses with the least consumption...
Just check the dip stick and don't let it run low, Spun bearings is another trait of the 3.8L engines !! Good Luck "BH"

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The problem with some 3.8's that burn an excessive amount of oil is that during 3.8 engine production, a small percentage of JK engines were assembled in Mexico and the piston rings were incorrectly installed. It took awhile for Chrysler to troubleshoot the problem and a small percentage of engines were installed in JK's, which will burn an excessive amount of oil as they accumulate mileage. Not all engines assembled in Mexico had this issue. JK window stickers indicate the engine assembly location. If it indicates Mexico, only for 3.8's, there could be a major consumption issue that develops. Most other 3.8's don't consume any more oil than any other engine, including the 3.6. Of course on the forum, all 3.8's are oil burners.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
34,851 Posts
The problem with some 3.8's that burn an excessive amount of oil is that during 3.8 engine production, a small percentage of JK engines were assembled in Mexico and the piston rings were incorrectly installed. It took awhile for Chrysler to troubleshoot the problem and a small percentage of engines were installed in JK's, which will burn an excessive amount of oil as they accumulate mileage. Not all engines assembled in Mexico had this issue. JK window stickers indicate the engine assembly location. If it indicates Mexico, only for 3.8's, there could be a major consumption issue that develops. Most other 3.8's don't consume any more oil than any other engine, including the 3.6. Of course on the forum, all 3.8's are oil burners.
^^^Yep, all of them 3.8 engines are thirsty...:eek:
Just kidding. Lol..:rofl2:

They are basically a good, longevity engine..:thumb:

As for my 3.6, well it doesn't use any noticeable oil but, the verdict is still out on the longevity!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2010 with 46,000, I do a once a year trip from AC to Central Florida I notice she burns about a quart. I've done the viscosity switch to 10W-30 it didn't make a difference. I do how ever rum Synthetic and I saw a post on here mentioning that. With the price difference and burning a quart every thousand miles, I may go back to Dino oil?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts