Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and a first time Wrangler owner, so forgive me if there's a thread already about this. I have a 2010 JK Unlimited, with the 3.8L V6. Everything stock. It makes a knocking noise for a quick second or two when I start her up in cold weater (less than 45 degrees outside). Is this anything I should be worried about? Or is this normal operation? Any further input or help is appreciated. Also if I need to further clarify something, please tell me. I don't want to be a first and only Wrangler owner! Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil filter is new after last oil change, and level is right in the middle, so should be no problem from that, at least I believe... A friend told me about "lifters" that are making the noise because it's so cold. I'll try the synthetic oil and see how that sounds. Any certain kind/brand you suggest. I've always used Castrol for all my vehicles. By the way, thank you for replying, didn't think anyone would, especially this fast! :dance:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
stevon1221 said:
Oil filter is new after last oil change, and level is right in the middle, so should be no problem from that, at least I believe... A friend told me about "lifters" that are making the noise because it's so cold. I'll try the synthetic oil and see how that sounds. Any certain kind/brand you suggest. I've always used Castrol for all my vehicles. By the way, thank you for replying, didn't think anyone would, especially this fast! :dance:
Did this just start after the filter change?
What brand?
These are noisy engines. Not that uncommon to make some noise before the oil warms up and starts flowing. Especially on cold starts. That's why synthetics help.
Most oil brands are fine these days.
You running the factory 5w-20?

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Mine (2011) does the same, if it gets in the teens at night... but never if it's warmer - like closer to 30 (F). I use Mobil 1. A couple of guys up here told me they switched to Amsoil, and lost the knock. I've ordered some to give her a try.... the service manager (that I've actually always had good luck with here in Utah) told me that he hears that all the time... a knock that lasts 1-3 seconds in very cold starts... and not to worry. I still don't like it... looking at long term... hence the try the Amsoil... oh, and btw... I always use Mopar filters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. It was making the noise before the oil change. Brand of filter was a FRAM, can't remember specifics about the filter. The more I think about it, I think it's probably just the type of oil I'm using that isn't lubricating good enough in cold temperatures... If there's no other suggestions, I'll try the synthetic and see how that goes. Once again, thank you for the help. I'll post on here after I do it, so everyone who has this problem too can see what the outcome is and maybe it can help them too. :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
stevon1221 said:
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and a first time Wrangler owner, so forgive me if there's a thread already about this. I have a 2010 JK Unlimited, with the 3.8L V6. Everything stock. It makes a knocking noise for a quick second or two when I start her up in cold weater (less than 45 degrees outside). Is this anything I should be worried about? Or is this normal operation? Any further input or help is appreciated. Also if I need to further clarify something, please tell me. I don't want to be a first and only Wrangler owner! Thanks.
I to have also noticed this on my 2007 that I recently purchased and changed to mobil 1 5w20. Ive only notice it when its below 30 deg and only for a split second. I check oil level regularly.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Yep. I changed over to AMSOIL a month after I
Bought it.
It was summer so. Not a peep yet.

Try the oil and buy a good quality oil filter with a anti drain back valve. Wix is popular.
FRAM I believe does make a higher quality filter.
Also there are filters that are oversized that
fit. You just have to cross reference the part numbers. Not sure if it helps.

But like said. A few seconds only at start up. I would not worry to much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts