Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I turboed this jeep and after the short lifespan of the stock trans the decision was made to LS swap this jeep...this will be my second LS swap wrangler, the first being my 2000 TJ

Made some good progress today.
Decided to use truck accessories for swap, doing so I needed to slide motor back even more...motor is back 1.5" vs where novak recommends. Firewall was massaged some in one spot

I test fit a set of LS3 manifolds and they clear firewall better but pass side will need slight modification for exhaust

Found a PS pulley 300-130 which is 1/2" smaller then stock truck pulley, using this pulley allows clearance to PS steering box

Trans is bolted up to motor and has plenty of clearance, I will need to mod the crossmember on for the trans mount.

We decided to not use the 3/4 ton transfercase and buy the conversion parts to use the NP241 jeeps transfercase..once that shows it will allow me to determine how I need to mod the crossmember

With sliding the motor back it allows me to have more clearance up front to use the stock Jeep fan, rad hoses will be custom but nothing too crazy

It has a tbss AC unit mocked up but I'm try a truck one to see what clearance is like

The upper control arm mount to AC compressor is a safe distance

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some.more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alot of pics are taken to show different angles and clearances for others.

I'm no stranger to LS motors as I have close to 20yrs experience with them

As in anything done theres more then one way to go about things

The motor in pic is a mock up vs using the LS2, same as some other items

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Sub'd:thumb:

-Steven

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got around to mating the NP241 transfercase to the 6l90 trans using the Novak adapter.. downfall is adapter is for a 6l80..I had to trim the output shaft and input to allow the two to mate to each other.

Next up will be making a trans mount

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's some pix of my LS swap. Nice work on yours, you'll need to relocate that steering box and compressor though and move the motor forward and inch possibly. I tried those locations on mine and its just crazy tight between the frame rails. So had to lose the AC (for now) and moved the steering box up under the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was faced with a delima of what to do for trans mount for this swap and after going back and forth I came up with idea of relocating the stock crossmember.

So went ahead and cut brackets off frame and slide them back, I used a 6l90 trans mount and it bolted right up to the Chrysler crossmember. I drilled 2 holes in the top plate of trans mount and bolted to the novak mounting plate. So this was as OEM as I could make it.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mocked up the front driveshaft so can start building the exhaust, the front shaft will need lengthened.

The front trans protector bar clears the 6l90 trans pan just fine, I did have to remove the tab it had that tied to the crossmember, I'll be making a new long tab or possibly build a triangular cage which I'll be making a rear one for transfercase

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One small issue ran into with sliding crossmember back 6 3/4" was it now interferes with the fuel tank, so I'll be swapping to a 2dr JK fuel tank. Will drop from 22.5 gallons to 18.5 gallons, which is still plenty of fuel for a toy

I now have alot more room to run the exhaust, especially with use of a 2dr fuel tank

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Messed with the start of exhaust some...using Ls3 exhaust manifolds and welded a V band onto it.

I trimmed the upper control arm mount some so exhaust will be easier and simpler to route now

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Switched to Ls2 car intake and added a set of vette covers. The word Corvette will be filled in and a decal made that says Wrangler in the Corvette font

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the trans crossmember slid back as far as it is, that left us with clearance issues with stock fuel tank...we picked up a 2dr fuel tank which allows plenty of room for the exhaust now and trans crossmembe

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got around to welding a Vband to driverside manifold, now time to start on the Y pipe, which will be dual 2.5" into a single 4" merge

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts