Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All, so a little backstory on this one, Purchased used w/ 80K miles a year ago to be utilized as a pavement princess for towing my 96 XJ (R.I.P.) & possibly a nice old TJ. Didn't happen. XJ went down hill. Got a new Job, relocated to the City & no need to drive at all! (Jeep just sits all week, I take a train to work now.) So now this Pavement Princess is going to become our Expedition Vehicle for roadtripping the United States & Camping out of the vehicle. So here is my "Budget" Build so far. We are big into Water Sports, Kayaking, Surfing amongst all other general outdoor activities.

STOCK - (Not my photos/jeep but Exactly how it was when I purchased it)

Started building this out 2 weeks ago. I only have access to a garage on the weekend (it would be 100% done if I had my own area to work on the jeep, not a big fan of doing it on a city street.)

07/08/19

--- I did the Angry Eyes Grill to give the jeep some attitude (Also Removed Fenders)

--- Removed Running Boards, Added some Steel Nerf Bars (I don't plan on doing HardCore Rock Crawling, Happy Medium between protection & Step Up for the Wife) & Added Hinge Steps for the future roof cage & rack

07/15/19

I removed both stock bumpers & added a tubular rear & stubby front w/ winch plate. Front bumper was a real pain in the ass to get off, didn't realize that part.

(I also took this opportunity to sand off the rust & apply some rust protectant black paint all over the bumper mounts both front & rear.)

---- Anybody else take there front bumper off without lifting & using an impact wrench? This was the only way i was able to get the inner bolts off haha

What I Actually Have, Waiting & Ready to be put on the Vehicle

- TrailFX Roof Rack J029T (Still Boxed) - Completed

- Thule M.O.A.B. Roof Rack - Completed

- Cheapo (oEdRo*) Solid Steel Fenders (Thin, low profile, cheap) - Completed

- SmittyBuilt 9500lb XRC Winch - Completed

- Rugged Ridge Dana 30, Rough Country Dana 44, Smittybuilt Transmission Skid Plates (Still Boxed)

- 2" Wheel Spacers - Completed

- 30" LED Center-Roof Mounted Lightbar & x2 4" LEDs for left & right roof mount - 1/2 Completed

- Limb Risers - Completed

*** The Thule M.O.A.B. was previously on my XJ, just re-outfitted it with x4 2.5 Gallon gas jugs mounted w/ locks. The rack is the perfect size to carry 2 Kayaks, 2 Large Surfboards & all the gas (+ a little extra room.) - Completed

It also has a shovel mount on one side. (The Mounts are actually ATV Gun Mounts repurposed)

This will be mounted on the rear half of the TrailFX Full Bodied Roof Rack/Cage with the front half of the vehicles roof left open for various misc. storage / usage (Solar Panel possible)

What I Don't Have Yet & Still Need

- Larger Tires, Looking 315/70R17, keeping stock wheels. - Completed

- Leveling Kit / Budget Lift - Any Suggestions for Budget Lifts?
-- Went with Crosswind 35x12.5x17s M/T

Future Plans

- Once above stuff is all situation, I am going to get dimensions the rear of the Jeep ( I have the set of 2 back seats removed w/ 1 remaining for extra passenger) & cutout a peice of plywood, Mount it & use that as a base.

- Currently the wife & I are looking at plans for how we want to create mounted shelving w/ storage, slide out racks of the rear for stove & refrigerator.

- Still need to create electrical systems area for storage of extra battery that hooks up to a solar kit, power inverters, etc ( I want to mount this high up on the vehicle )

- Water Storage, After the installation of the roof racks, I want to run a large PVC pipe down the side of the jeeps roof racks to house a large amount of water.

- Originally didn't plan on roof top tent, now considering the Front Runner Rooftop Tent

Updated 08/04/2019

Alrighty so finally got a chance to install the roof rack & roof basket - still trying to figure out my tire situation / what lift kit to get. Even though I also have the fenders, staying fenderless for now until i get the tires. here it is

Now that the roof racks installed, going to start planning out the wiring for the light bar, 2x led side lights & winch - as well as try to see if i'm able to configure some kinda slide out solar panel & drawing out plans for water storage.

Updated 10/12/2019

35x12.5x17 Tires (Crosswind M/T), 2" Hubcentric Tire spacers & Fenders Installed

Next Step is cutting / using the dremmel on the rear wheel wells & adding 2.5 inch Budget Lift to get some more uptravel out of rear tires.

install Led Light Bar & 2 small auxiliary lights to the left and right side of the light bar

install winch

Smittybuilt Rear Tire Carrier (Tire is in the rear of the vehicle right now)

Updated 11/17/2019

Wired up a 6 Switch 2x40amp Rocker Switch, installed 30" Led Light Bar, 9.5K Winch & Limb Risers - I still need to add the 2 front 4" Led Lights & Rear Facing 4" Led Lights. Not enough time Today.

Reactions: webman9113

·
Super Moderator
15,642 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up! All images are now updated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Updated 08/04/19
Photos Added to Original Post:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated 10/12/19

·
Registered
250 Posts
For water storage one option would have been to keep the rear bumper and modify it to hold water. Some have put in a water pump while others use gravity or air pressure.

For others reading this you can set your bumper up to hold water when needed then drain when you get back on the road. Just fill and have just in case when in the back country if not needed not a problem . If needed you have I think 8 gallons.

I would look at a solar water heater made from PVC mounted on top of the jeep painted black. Use an air compressor to pressurize and you got a warm shower . They sell them for a lot of money but a few items from a hardware store you can build one . I would drain for driving on the / highway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@RJames55 - exactly your last comment!

Looking into building something like the video below - 6inch pvc at a little less than 6 feet (will cut to make it flush with roof) which should provide around 8 gallons of water.

Reactions: RJames55

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just picked up These from Craigslist for $100, Stock JKU Rubicon (2015) Coils, Shocks & Track bars taken off around 7K Miles - this will provide my JKU Sport with a 1.5" lift.

Going to clean these puppies up & makem as new as possible & give them a nice new coat of paint.

& I also picked up these from ebay for $50

Rough Country 1.75" Coil Spacers

This will bring my total lift to 3.25 inches (Not account for all the weight im adding so im sticking with probably 3 inches)

I havent measured nor taken my track bars off yet, but given these are from a rubi & meant for a stock 1.5 inch lift, I dont think the extra spacers should pose a problem or require me to get a new adjustable track bar right away, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Other things I'm adding to this are a bracket for brake line extension, an extension to the exhaust & sway bar quick-disconnects

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't posted in a while, will update with trail pics ASAP, 2 events coming up in the next month

Updated 11/17/19

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you @bcoimbra - the color is Red Rock Crystal Pearl, cranberry just makes it sound girly haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Added 2 Front Auxiliary LEDS to the front Light Bar to get some extra coverage on the near front right & left of the vehicle.

Added 2 Rear Auxiliary LEDS to the rear to light it up for everything from reversing in crappy terrain to extra lighting while camping.

& Added a PA Speaker / Multi-Mode Siren & Horn to under the hood for fun & games =D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since last post I've added front dana 30 skid plate & rear dana 44 skid plates - still need to add transmission skid plate.

I also got a cover for led light bar & added my wind fairing to my roof rack

Here are some Trail Pics from AOAA in Pennsylvania - these are what I took, I will update with more - other people were actually taking photos

This is stock with 35" tires, no lift at all, stock shocks & springs. Thought it was important to mention that as next time i post a picture it will probably be with the lift if i find free time in these next few weeks.

Reactions: 1BlueJKU
1 - 15 of 15 Posts