Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2010 JKU about 15 months ago. Everything checked out at the dealership (it was a Jeep dealership) when I test drove it - except no warranty. I had it a couple of days and the check engine light came on while driving. By the time I made it home, it had disappeared. I didn't notice any issues in the the way it drove. I was out of town at the time, but called the dealership and they said to bring it in if it was on and they would check it. Since it went away, I ignored it.

Fast forward several months and it came on again - this time I was able to check the code and it was P0740 - Torque Converter. And I started noticing a "lag" only occasionally between 1-2 gears. It would almost be like I hit the brake between the shifts - enough so, that when it shifted and you lost power, it would cause you to lean forward (again, like the brake was being depressed). Sometimes it would do that, but the shift would be smooth. And then sometimes, in between the same gears, it would just shift hard and not have that loss of power - like slamming into 2nd gear. I assume they are both related, but are they related to the torque converter? This happens probably 60% of the time, and seems to happen moreso when I'm on an incline.

And then, last summer while driving on the interstate, HOT OIL showed up on my dash. I pulled off and let it cool off and I changed the fluid the next day (not a complete flush).

Since then, I've still had the shifting issues (either losing power or shifting hard) but had not experienced the HOT OIL until yesterday, again while driving on the interstate with warmer weather (80s yesterday for the first time this year).

Does all of this add up to something?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It sounds like the torque converter will probably have to be replaced. The older JK auto transmissions, pre-2012, don't have a typical "auxiliary" trans. cooler. The trans. cooler is run through the bottom portion of the A/C condenser and it really isn't a good design. Adding an auxiliary trans. cooler will help a great deal and you will most likely never see a hot oil light.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts