Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, new to this forum but on many other automotive forums, My brothers jeep is a 2010 wrangler rubicon, car has about 70k miles on it, did a lot of snow plowing and pulling over the years, and the transmission does a lot of up and downshifting on the highway like it doesn't know what gear to hold. i keep getting transmission faults, P0734 gear ration incorrect in 4th, P0882 TCM power input low, p1790 Fault immediately after shift. The car runs fine and then goes into limp mode after about 10-20 miles, limp mode leaves the car with no throttle the car stays at idle. when i shut the car on and off it then lets me get out of limp mode and home, and or to my shop... This car has big 35" tires, lifted. LASTLY the engine codes I'm retrieving are from the PCM, there is no communication to the TCM. is the Transmission control unit and engine controll unit shared? I was not getting 3 volts on a back prob test on the power line to TCM but it looked like its just 1 computer when I checked. Let me know which direction to take!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Unfortunately, the 07-11 auto trans. doesn't seem to be able to handle constant severe duty. If the trans. fluid and filter has never been changed chances are you'll need a rebuild. There are instances with valve body issues that won't throw a code. What is the condition of the fluid?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid looked good, car drives and shifts pretty good, intermittently it will go into limp mode. I cleaned the grounds and cleared the codes.. having someone drive it a bit and going to check back tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh okay guys, incorrect gear ratio 4 is pending, I felt it on the highway having trouble around 4th gear.. gonna try to drain the filter and leave some seafoam in there tomorrow to clean out, worst case I would need a new transmission. No solenoid codes, just incorrect gear ratio 4th pending.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay further looking into this, and seeing how the problem only happens in 4th as it senses a slip, can this be the valve body? don't know if I should spend the chip and replace the whole trans or have someone check the valve body.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Okay further looking into this, and seeing how the problem only happens in 4th as it senses a slip, can this be the valve body? don't know if I should spend the chip and replace the whole trans or have someone check the valve body.
Have it professionally diagnosed. It could also be the Torque Converter. You might not actually have to replace the trans. at this point. If you do, at least you're not spending $ throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone have a good company that builds these trans and ships? Or anywhere you guys suggest to source a complete transmission with torque converter?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Ask around your friends in the area. Surely someone in the area knows who not to take it to, using the process of elimination that gives you a list to try. Stay away from the national chains and they push the techs to build about 4 a day which is too many to do it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts