Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone!!!!

I am brand new to the Jeep world, having purchased my baby, Rogue, just over a month ago. Before Rogue came along, I have never felt love for any car I've owned!

The tragedy of all tragedies took place this morning, and unfortunately, Rogue has a ding on the plastic front bumper...I am done crying now, and ready to fix her up :doh:

Fellow Jeep lovers.....is there a way that I can fix this myself WITHOUT going to a collision repair center that will charge me $300+ to fix?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
welcome to the forum :)

We give better advice when you add pictures, but even with pictures, almost everyone is going to suggest an off road steel bumper.

the plastic part is hollow, so trying to hammer a dent out would mean drilling a large hole in the back of the plastic part to get access to the inside, and after the stress, the platic won't look like it did regardless... A slide hammer might work, but that requires drilling holes in the front, and there's no way to really cover it over...

If you're concerned about appearance enough to worry about it, replacement is the only "good" option...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
aw geez... that's not getting "repaired" lol...

Either replacement, with an OEM or with an aftermarket, or you can "stubby" it. I just did mine last weekend.

Would probably look even better with the Sahara's metal trim in the middle...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your quick reply! Aelwero, that looks awesome!

My hubby will definitely like the project of shaving down the bumper, or even replacing it for that matter. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I believe that that can be pushed back into almost perfect condition from the back. Use a slightly rounded, padded probe.......gently tap it back into shape. If there is any discoloration at the creases, some Back to Black should cover it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am currently employed at a collision center in the metro Atlanta area and we recently had a customer with a very similar dent on their JK. The insurance company chose to replace the whole bumper so I snagged the "damaged" one and with a little application of heat (from a heat gun) I was able to restore it to original condition. I ended up selling the bumper and putting some cash in my pocket. A hair dryer is a good household heat source. Apply even heat over the repair area being careful not to melt the plastic and simply push the dent out. I wish I could word it better but that's the best way I can think of to explain it. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THANK YOU THANK YOU! I will definitely rush home and try blowdrying her back into shape...for obvious reasons, I am desperately trying to do this WITHOUT alarming my hubby =)

If heat and pressure do not work, I am already looking through Craigslist, eBay, and my dealership's parts dept for replacement bumpers.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The JK bumpers are hollow enclosures, a closed end "tube" of sorts, like a boat pontoon... you can't get to the back of that dent without drilling a hole in the other side...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had a sililar dent in my rear bumper. We drilled a 3/8 hole in the bottom of the bumper and poked about an 18" rod though the hole and gently messaged the dent from the inside until we were satisfied with the result. Painted a piece of duct tape matte black and slapped that over the hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If those repair options don't work. Try and go to your local 4 wheel parts or any place that installs lifts and aftermarket bumpers. I bet they will have a few take off bumpers they will sell you cheap.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
A ding in the factory bumper is the perfect excuse to get a better looking after market bumper

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
Hold the bus! There's no drilling required here. If the heat trick doesn't work, just unbolt the bumper from the Jeep, remove the plastic from the bumper and push out the dent.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts