Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new member, just bought a 2010 unlimited Rubicon with 86k miles and want to do a good tune up on it. Also noticed it doesn't seem to have that much pick up when passing. Anyone have any suggestions on what to change or service besides the normal plugs, wires, filter stuff? What would be the best route to go to gain a few hps to help with the sluggishness? Would a simple PNP tuner help out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
The archives are deep with discussions on methods/attempts to gain power from the 3.8L engine. I have a 2011 JKUR Auto with the 3.8L. I regeared and use SC Flashpaq tunes for the purpose of going up to 35" tires and will never claim "added performance." Appreciable gains in performance for the 3.8L is a very long and subjective topic with about as many unhappy as happy "investors" in various techniques to include tuners. I'd say the one method of gaining performance which very few people will rebuke is the supercharger. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Other than a major investment you pretty much have all that you're going to get out of a 3.8. Since you have 86K miles you might want to replace the PCV. Fuel filters aren't serviceable. What you mentioned is fine. The problem area with 10 JK's and performance is the automatic trans. if that applies. The heavier weight of an Unlimited also has an affect. The standard 4.10's help. Good luck with your "new" Rubicon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I did try to dig before posting because I hate seeing posts that are easily answered with the search but I didn't really find anything. The pcv is definitely on the list. Not quite what I was hoping to hear but completely understandable! We'll just have to see how things go after the tune up and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Out of curiosity. Do you have the stock size tires, (as is written on your door jamb), or are they larger?

If a previous owner added considerably larger tires (35 inches or more) and didn't regear the differentials, the overall gear ratio could be too high causing the engine to lug when you accelerate.

If they are the stock size, or close to it.. Then there isn't a lot you can do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure they are 285 70 on stock 17s. Comes out to about 32s. I did consider that also. It feels more like a lack of power than anything else. We did trade an ilx in on it so I'm pretty spoiled from the sport mode. I would be more than happy to drop a couple hundred on a programmer if it were worth it. That and the next thing would be the brakes. Wife isn't used to them from driving the Acura yet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
For more power about the only options are to install a supercharger ($$$) or re gear. I believe the Rubicon would have had 3.73 stock if it had the automatic (4.10's optional) and 4.10 stock if it has a manual transmission. Going to 4.56 or even 4.88might help though it will raise your RPMs a bit.

For braking improvements you can go with a full big brake kit (larger rotors, calipers, master cylinder) from Terraflex or Mopar or a big rotor kit that just has larger rotors and new caliper brackets.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Terra flex kit looks really nice! Thanks for the suggestion. Its definitely on the list now

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As mentioned, the 3.8 is just underpowered. Only upgrades to make a significant difference are a supercharger or an engine swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts