Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, need some advice! How much difference is there between similarly optioned JKUSes, one a 2010 and the other a 2013? I am concerned primarily about the engines and the related performance. I have a lot of good reviews about the pentastar but not sure if is worth the extra money to buy new. Thanks this is a fantastic forum!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
A ton. Different interior, different engine, different auto tranny.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks panthermark, I appreciate the advice! This is a really great learning tool for all of us newbies. I saw a nice looking JKUS for sale locally and thought if the differences were negligible then maybe it would be worth saving a few bucks (since I have a long list of mods already thanks to all of you...):whistling:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a '10 Rubicon, and I traded it in for a '12 JKU SportS.

I've never looked back. Great new engine. The Auto trans was junk when paired up with the 3.8 in my 2010. I have a manual trans now, and I love it. But I also live in the hills. I'd hate driving it in stop and go traffic all the time.

I also love the new interior, especially the soft touch arm rests ....sigh, so much nicer=)

The engine alone is a deal maker or breaker for me. I also get better mpg with the 3.6. and yes, I'm being serious, not just saying that because others might say it.

I've got 10k and 1 miles on mine right now and I'm so glad I traded my 2010 Rubicon in... Although I sorely miss the looks of the Rubi because I haven't even gotten mud tires for mine, although I do have nice AT's for winter driving.

If you're going with stick shift then the engine won't be nearly as big of a deal breaker for you, but on the other hand if you're going with auto then I'd say stay as far away as possible from the 3.8, auto trans combo. Even with 4.12 gears in my rubi it was always straining and huffing an puffing, and never downshifting at the right time because of it's stupid "eco" mode... Seriously, anyone with the pre-2012 auto combo will tell you that it was a pain in the neck going to pass someone on the freeway etc... when it finally would downshift it felt like it went into 2nd gear... anyway, please excuse my tirade. If it weren't for the '12's having the new engine I probably would still have my Rubicon with the 3.8, and I'd still be proud of how it looked... but I'd still notice every wrong shift it made, every time I drove it.

Have fun finding a jeep... That's a fun time, seriously=)

·
Registered
860 Posts
A ton. Different interior, different engine, different auto tranny.

^ this...and a tranny cooler...and better seats....but as someone else said, the engine alone would be the decision maker for me. In fact, it was. When I heard that the Pentastar was coming, I held off on upgrading my TJ to a JK...and then waited another year to ensure that the kinks were worked out. Glad that I did...and glad that I went straight from the 4.0 L to the 3.6 L without owning the minivan engine. ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
^ this...and a tranny cooler...and better seats....but as someone else said, the engine alone would be the decision maker for me. In fact, it was. When I heard that the Pentastar was coming, I held off on upgrading my TJ to a JK...and then waited another year to ensure that the kinks were worked out. Glad that I did...and glad that I went straight from the 4.0 L to the 3.6 L without owning the minivan engine. ;)
Just wanted to point out that, yes the 3.6L is better (aside from those with a messed up head), but they are both minivan engines. The pentastar was in the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country before it was in the Wrangler :whistling: :flowers: We need a hemi, or a diesel, option to get away from a minivan engine! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
The '12 threw off my plan: Usually when I buy a vehicle, I will wait until the new model comes out to buy last years model. I drove an '11 with the 3.8 and then drove the '12. It was an easy decision.

As mentioned, drive them both and you'll be ready to buy a '13.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! This is why I come here! This fantastic information.:thumb:

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 3.6 is also in the charger, challenger, and grand Cherokee. I wouldn't mind seeing a v8 option but i wouldn't buy a diesel. I was going to buy a jku a while back, but waited on the interior change, then about the time I was gonna get that, the better motor/tranny was coming out, then I liked the billet color, bought a 2013 billet Saturday. All of these things were well worth the wait. I seen a thread on here about the useable advantages of the 3.6 over the 3.8. The dyno showed marginal gains for the 3.6 until upper rpm ranges. If you drive the 3.8 then hop in the 3.6, it is unreal the differences in 1-3000 rpm and gets better from there. The 3.8 feels like it is struggling to get to 30mph, yet alone 65 with big tires. The 3.6 requires you to keep looking at the speedometer to make sure your not speeding.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I drove both before I bought and went with the 2010. Don't regret it at all. I don't like the newer interior at all. And I didn't feel all that much difference in power. My 2010 has 3.73s and the 2012 had 3.21s. 3.6 or 3.8 doesn't really matter. The reason for the improvement was almost completely because of the new transmission. Sure i'd like to have the newer 5 speed auto in my 2010 but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I'm still able to pass semis on the highway perfectly fine. I still get 18-20 MPH with the stock tires. To me it doesn't feel like anything what others are saying about it being slow and a dog and it doesn't hunt for gears.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I drove both before I bought and went with the 2010. Don't regret it at all. I don't like the newer interior at all. And I didn't feel all that much difference in power. My 2010 has 3.73s and the 2012 had 3.21s. 3.6 or 3.8 doesn't really matter. The reason for the improvement was almost completely because of the new transmission. Sure i'd like to have the newer 5 speed auto in my 2010 but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I'm still able to pass semis on the highway perfectly fine. I still get 18-20 MPH with the stock tires. To me it doesn't feel like anything what others are saying about it being slow and a dog and it doesn't hunt for gears.
Like you said the 2012 had 3.21s... Don't, don't get the 3.21s... They really shouldn't be in Wranglers, especially JKU's.

My '12 has 3.73 with limited slip rear difs, definitely worth it. but each person has the right to their own opinion... I just think mines a better qualified opinion since I've owned and driven a '10 for a year, and a '12 for a year... I didn't just test drive both and decide which I liked better.

One thing that I never had to worry about with my 2010 was speeding on the freeway. My 2012, well, I can speed by mistake, not a good thing, but it is nice to not need to be floored to get onto the freeway, or to pass a semi on the freeway.

And I'm not meaning to talk bad about anyones opinion, I just know that I very much don't want the OP to get a '10 thinking there isn't much difference. And the soft touch arm rests are really nice:whistling:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like the 2013 is definitely worth the few extra bucks. The 3.21 in the 2010 also made me a little iffy. Plus (being in Alaska), I can work in factory heated seats!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Use prices for wranglers are reductions your always off buying new with them. The dealer I bought mine from has a used one stickers on there lot for more than I paid for my 12 brand new. Same options model everything. It was a 2010 with 15k miles I think it was like 27995 or 28496 and I got my 12 jku sport with the sport s wheels hard top and limited slip for 27500

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
And I have uconnect as well. The 10 has a soft top and no limited slip and 3.21s why pay the same for a used 3 year old car it's redick how the used value of these things never loose there value always buy new you don't want someone else's problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've noticed that too. There have been a few used JKs around that are as much or more that the new models are going for... Really have to watch out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts