Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the radio and speakers in my jeep using an amp to run the speakers. I got everything done went to start it, and no such luck. It will crank if I send power directly to the start but will still not start. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Welcome Aboard! :wavey: Possibly left a harness unplugged or wired something wrong?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a similar issue. I took negative off battery and touched positive. Mine wouldn't crank though. Everything else worked though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked all the harness' and everything was fine. I disconnected the battery touched the + and - together still no luck. I read somewhere that there's an anti theft that if you disconnect the radio without disconnecting the battery it will send a message to the ECM to not allow the jeep to start. Anyone else heard that?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I just replaced the radio and speakers in my jeep using an amp to run the speakers. I got everything done went to start it, and no such luck. It will crank if I send power directly to the start but will still not start. Any ideas?
If it will crank, but not start, are you holding key in "start" positoion whilde doing this?? If not, it will NOT start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah clutch in and key turned still no luck. I really don't want to have to take it to the dealership so I wanted to post on here for any feedback first

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
OK. I had a broken wire between starter relay and the starter solenoid. It took dealer tech a while to find it; so I rigged a "failsafe" system. I took a fused hot wire directly from the battery and ran it to a push button that I installed in the dash. Then ran another wire from the said push button to the small terminal on the solenoid. Whenever I push the button; the starter will engage; BUT, the engine would not start until I held the key in the "start" position---- not just in the "run" position, it had to be in the "start" position to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I'll have to try that. Also valpojk when you said you took the negative off fan touched it to the positive was the positive still connected to the battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same issue on a 2010 Wrangler. dealer replaced starter, then something else connected to starter, then starter again. It cost me about $400+. still had the problem. A friend had a Chrysler Pacifica that had the same issue. He told me to put it in gear and then out of gear. Basically "giggling" gear shift. I did and have not had the problem since. It's been well over 6 months. Sounds strange I know but it worked. I have not gone back to dealer but they basically had no clue and was just replacing parts and charging me. Should not happen on a three year old jeep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts