Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 2010 Wrangler with standard v6, 20,000 miles with a clogged heater core? The dealer claims its "casting sand." Ring any bells with anyone?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just had to have the heater core replaced on my 2010 with 19,000 miles on it...dealer said same thing...clogged with something

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had to have the heater core replaced on my 2010 with 19,000 miles on it...dealer said same thing...clogged with something
Thanx for the info. The dealer initially installed an in line heater hose filter which is really unusual in my book. How long ago did you have the core replaced ? Jeep agreed to a 4 day car rental during the repair. I also had to have the water pump replaced due to a noisy bearing. The dealer says the issue are not related. I am in connecticut. What state are you in to give me an idea how importatnt the heater issue is?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanx for the info. The dealer initially installed an in line heater hose filter which is really unusual in my book. How long ago did you have the core replaced ? Jeep agreed to a 4 day car rental during the repair. I also had to have the water pump replaced due to a noisy bearing. The dealer says the issue are not related. I am in connecticut. What state are you in to give me an idea how importatnt the heater issue is?
I believe it was the last week in November can't recall the exact date. Dealer offered a rental but I was off of work anyway so I declined. The repair took 2 full days. I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania and it was starting to get pretty cold with no heater.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sitting at the dealership right now. This is the second heater core replacement (yes, this will be the third heater core in my jeep. The guys here do a great job replacing them, but are pretty closed-mouth on what the cause is. I looked at the original (they cut it in half to expose the inside of the core) and as I recall it was solidly plugged with what I can only describe as, a pinky-off white solidified paste. The dealer claims they can't figure it out, but between two mechanics at two different dealerships up here, they have replaced the heater cores in six wranglers over the couple of years. As you guys are probably familiar, replacing the heater core is a very big job and while these guys do a great job mechanically, on both occasions they've left dents in the car from the mirrors, the first time on the drivers side, which wasn't hard to repair. This time they got both sides and they made a bigger mess buy trying to bang them out. The thing that really gets me going is that they deny doing it. Anyway, this appears to be a common problem associated with this Wrangler model and I'm not buying the assertion that they don't know what the material clogging the core is. I've offered to take a sample to a lab, but they have declined on both occasions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx for sharing Greg. What year and model is your jeep? Mine is a 2010 Wrangler sport standard transmission v6. The dealer service foreman says its clogged with casting sand from the block manufacturing process. He asked that I try to find out the last 8 numbers of the VIn from others who have had the same problem. He feels there is a good chance these cars were made arouind the same date. If you dont mind could you give me the last 8 numbers of your vin ? thanx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: The service manager called advising that they have flushed the cooling system 4 times and still continue to remove "casting sand" which they report as the cause of this evil. They then turned to Jeep engineers who advised that the engine in this wrangler be removed so that the freeze out plugs can be removed and the engine block thoroughly flushed to remove "casting sand". Without this procedure they suspect the residual sand will clog the new heater core. At all levels Jeep reps deny any knowledge of this problem occuring anywhere else. I have forwarded the feedback from the two other individuals in this forum who have also experienced this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To answer your questions, my Jeep is a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited VIN ....XXXXXXXX8L621169. The casting sand explanation is plausible, based on the colour of the material I observed clogging up the heater core.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Update: The service manager called advising that they have flushed the cooling system 4 times and still continue to remove "casting sand" which they report as the cause of this evil. They then turned to Jeep engineers who advised that the engine in this wrangler be removed so that the freeze out plugs can be removed and the engine block thoroughly flushed to remove "casting sand". Without this procedure they suspect the residual sand will clog the new heater core. At all levels Jeep reps deny any knowledge of this problem occuring anywhere else. I have forwarded the feedback from the two other individuals in this forum who have also experienced this problem.
Just think how much sand is in your radiator! Make sure they replace that too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just joined tonight to add to this discussion. I have a 2011 JKU with 7800 miles. It blows cold air on the drivers side when the temperature dial is set to heat. The first trip to the dealer resulted in an overnight stay and a coolant flush. This did not fix the problem. Second visit resulted in a 5 day stay at the dealer and it went back to cold within 10 minutes of leaving the dealer. It's now on it's third visit! Dealer is saying Chrysler knows of the issue and suggests continued flushing of the motor. The mechanic suggested pulling the freeze plugs to clean everything out. I'm about ready to file a lemon law claim due to this being the third attempt on an essentially new vehicle. I hate to bash Jeep but a leaky top, clogged heater core, engine valve tap and random electrical gremlins really make me question Chryslers quality control

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you guys pull any of these out and cut them open, take pictures and send to me. In fact, if you want to send the core to me send me a PM and I will get you my address.

I am an industrial water treatment expert and can perform a failure analysis. Been doing this for over 20 years and have access to the best metal failure and water analytical lab in the world.

Due to cost, I probably can't run an SEM on it but I can show it to researchers and Scientists that deal with these situations every day.

Start with photos first.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 2010 JKUR will be going back into the shop soon for the same problem described above (cold air on driver side. Super warm other side). First time they flushed everything and it seemed better but once the outside temp started cooling off again I quickly realized it wasn't fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx for all the feedback. My 2010 Wrangler also started out with cold air on the drivers side and continued the same thing after several attempts to repair. My jeep is going on two weeks in the shop with the engine removed, freeze plugs removed and flushing the engine block. If you have not yet contacted Jeep Customer Service in Detroit please do so 1-800-992-1997 and dont let them tell you that your heater issue is the first one they heard. If they try to tell you this is the first they heard of it go ahead and give them my case # 21713606

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Water Dr" , thank you for your offer but I already tried to get my hands on the old heater core wo success. The dealer claims the heater cores must go back to the factory which I know is typical of warranty parts.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If i have a sample of the core, the sludge material, and a sample of the coolant I can tell you exactly why the failure took place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The chances of getting my hands on any of those items is pretty slim but thank you. I even talked to the dealer shop foreman about cross sectioning the heater core but he claims the factory wants it back. I feel for all those victims out there with newer jeeps out of warranty with this issue. This is not the only forum which focuses on it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Having a sludge build-up problem in a heating core could only really be the result of two things: 1- Very poor water chemistry....as in...someone put the wrong water and coolant products in the vehicle, or did not understand properly what was supposed tobe used in the first place. 2- Gross contamination getting into the system resulting in #1.

If I had this in a lab, we would perform an SEM (scanning electron microsope) on the deposit and can isolate the source. You then look at the water chemistry, plug the data into a modeling program, and the system predicts what exactly took place. There are certain conditions that must be met in order to produce certain compounds.

Deposits are generally either hard and adherent....we call those scale and require heat. The molecules form a crystal lattice structure. Or, they can be sludge-like....almost like a putty type consistency. This putty material can have a lot of root causes, but somtimes can be from modifiers that are added to the water to prevent scale (polymers). This is what happens (and what I suspect w/o seeing anything) in this case. The factory could have used the poor water quality when filling the radiator (or the owner did), than added coolant (and the wrong coolant at that for the type of water used). The chemicals TRIED to prevent scale, but ended up being overwhelmed and the modifiers dropped it out of solution. The deposits end up in areas with low flow.....the heater core....because it does not always run.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts