Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: First timer here. Just bought a site unseen Wrangler, it arrived this past weekend. All seems to check out (as advertised). There is something I'm noticing that I'm not sure if it's because it's a Jeep or there's an issue there. I understand that some rides could be rough-it's not a car, I accept this. The Jeep is not lifted, very stock. It's an automatic. As I drive on a smooth, straight, paved road, and I'm accelerating, it feels as though the tires are "skidding" or dragging/lagging. Sorry, I'm not sure how to best describe it. The tires aren't stock road tires but they aren't large, off-roading tires either. I have also felt as if the Jeep gets thrown around when I'm going about 40 mph or so and I hit some rough bumps in the road. If anybody has ideas/thoughts about this, I'd appreciate hearing. My ultimate fear is that it's a suspension issue etc. There is no clanking noises or noises of any kind when I feel the tire skid/lag. Thanks in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Maybe hanging brake caliper.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Take it to a reputable shop that works on 4x4s. Have them go through and and check it all over. Will cost you a bit of $$ but then you have a diagnosis and can prep a game plan on how you want to approach it if anything major is wrong.

Sent from somewhere in Missouri

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
If it's a feeling of slowness more than a sound, then it might just be the larger tires, stock gearing, 4-speed auto, and 3.8L engine that's causing that feeling. If it feels like dragging, check all the tires and the inside of the wheels for rubbing marks. After you go for a drive without braking much, place your hand on the center of the wheel to see if it's really hot (this will indicate a stuck brake). If you've never driven a Jeep before, it does throw you around a lot. It should track straight and cruise decently on the highway until you hit a low point that only sucks one side of the Jeep in.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Maybe hanging brake caliper.
If it's a feeling of slowness more than a sound, then it might just be the larger tires, stock gearing, 4-speed auto, and 3.8L engine that's causing that feeling. If it feels like dragging, check all the tires and the inside of the wheels for rubbing marks. After you go for a drive without braking much, place your hand on the center of the wheel to see if it's really hot (this will indicate a stuck brake). If you've never driven a Jeep before, it does throw you around a lot. It should track straight and cruise decently on the highway until you hit a low point that only sucks one side of the Jeep in.
It's exactly just a slight feeling of slowness/pulling for lack of a better description, no sounds accompany that feeling at all. And it is a very momentary feeling. I'll check for the heat on the wheel and just chalk it up to the slightly bigger tires- if the wheel doesn't feel hot. It does track straight and moves very decently at 80 on the highway (no shakes or vibrations). This is all a new experience from a car so I'm sure I'm just being a little paranoid. This too shall pass. Thanks for the suggestions and hello back to all from NM. 🤙

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Wha
It's exactly just a slight feeling of slowness/pulling for lack of a better description, no sounds accompany that feeling at all. And it is a very momentary feeling. I'll check for the heat on the wheel and just chalk it up to the slightly bigger tires- if the wheel doesn't feel hot. It does track straight and moves very decently at 80 on the highway (no shakes or vibrations). This is all a new experience from a car so I'm sure I'm just being a little paranoid. This too shall pass. Thanks for the suggestions and hello back to all from NM. 🤙
What size are the tires and how much air pressure is in them?
Over inflation of the tires is all to common. Made worse by larger tires needing lower air pressure than the already high stock recommended pressures.
And, as mentioned, it needs to be reprogrammed for any changes in tire size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wha

Over inflation of the tires is all to common. Made worse by larger tires needing lower air pressure than the already high stock recommended pressures.
Not 100% on the size but I will look them over, get tire pressure during lunch break. Definitely not "large" tires, I'd say "normal" but just more off-roading tread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not 100% on the size but I will look them over, get tire pressure during lunch break. Definitely not "large" tires, I'd say "normal" but just more off-roading tread.
Wha

Had 2 recalls addressed this weekend and this slipped my mind. The tires are 235/75 R17s. They appear to be filled to the max recommended pressure- 44lbs

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Had 2 recalls addressed this weekend and this slipped my mind. The tires are 235/75 R17s. They appear to be filled to the max recommended pressure- 44lbs
The max pressure the tires are rated for is not the correct pressure to run the tires at, unless you are running them at their max weight rating (you are not).
Typically the recommended air pressures for any tire are somewhere less than the maximum pressure the tires are designed for. In the case of a Jeep, that pressure is usually around 37 psi or less. The stock tires are typically recommended to be run at 37 psi by the factory. Personally, I think that is a little high, I think they are trying to get max mpg out of it at the expense of comfort. But either way you slice it, 44 psi is way too much air pressure for those tires, and will result in poor handling and poor comfort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The max pressure the tires are rated for is not the correct pressure to run the tires at, unless you are running them at their max weight rating (you are not).
Typically the recommended air pressures for any tire are somewhere less than the maximum pressure the tires are designed for. In the case of a Jeep, that pressure is usually around 37 psi or less. The stock tires are typically recommended to be run at 37 psi by the factory. Personally, I think that is a little high, I think they are trying to get max mpg out of it at the expense of comfort. But either way you slice it, 44 psi is way too much air pressure for those tires, and will result in poor handling and poor comfort.
Thanks, GuzziMoto and Beatrice, I'll deflate down to 37ish immediately.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
37ish is still too high. Go down to 30.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts