Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a little off-roading and noticed a small clinking sound coming from the rear suspension. On further examination I found one of the sway-bar tie rods was loose. I could turn the bolt with my bare hands where it attached to the lower mount on the rear axle just next to the shock. Managed to get a wrench on it and now things are quiet. Does this work itself loose often? Should I have the shop check it out since I just picked the rig up last week?
On a different topic, do the 3.8 L V6 engines have a knocking issue. I can hear a very slight knock when I take on highway hills in higher gear. My old Cherokee was the same, I just replaced the plugs and it cured the problem. That thing did not like Bosch plugs. NGK's and, believe it or not, Champions, were the best. What's a good plug for the Wrangler?

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
The sway bar links come loose. but if you tighten them up really good they should never come loose again. I put silicone on my nuts to just to keep them in place.

The knocking issue.......

Check all the threads on 2012 Head Issues.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
People will argue that all day.

From what I gather NGK or regular old Champion plugs.

Is it "pinging" you hear? These engines are notorious for it.
Mine does it cold before the engine warms up. Used to all the time until I ran some Techron in with the gas.
I only use shell 93 (tuned) but you may want to step up to 89 and see if it goes away.

Good luck

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Damn pinging!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pluke, my Wrangler doesn't have the pentastar engine as the 2012's do, so that thread does not apply to my problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts