Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the past week, my transmission shifter will not allow me to start my Jeep in the Park position. I can move it to the Neutral position and start. I've tried nudging it while in Park and trying to start it; however, it still will not start.

My battery is strong and there are no other symptoms. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Usually when that happens the problem is the transmission range sensor. Unfortunately, it's located on top of the transmission valve body. The valve body has to be removed to access the range sensor. A professional shop would have to take care of it if you're not familiar with the 10 JK transmission. A private shop would be better than a dealer if you go that route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 08 started doing it and after searching I found out about adding a ground from battery negative to alternator bracket. Cleaned all my connections added a 40" battery cable and have not had a starting issue since. Mine would click and if I wiggled the shifter it would start. Never made it to having to go to neutral.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to take my Wrangler out yesterday, and, this time, it started in Park. After I shut it off at my destination, it started in Park again. I'll keep monitoring it. It has almost 92,000 miles on it. The only things that I've had to replace were the catalytic converter (warranty) and most of the AC parts (minus the Evaporator.) I cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends. Maybe that had helped. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to replacing the transmission range sensor soon; however, I do have a local trusted mechanic who cares for my Jeep. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts